PDA

View Full Version : Apex ATO Programming Help

Psyire
12-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty new to the APEX programming.. I'm trying to setup my ATO programming and it seems to be working but I'm hesitant to leave it be without having someone else review the code. So here it is:

Setup is RODI with a Solenoid connected to the Avast Marine ATO. (Pressure Switch w/ backup float valve on RODI line into the tank)

ATO_3_4
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet ATO_ADD = ON Then ON

ATO_ADD
Set OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
If Time 07:00 to 19:00 Then OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON

ATO_HIGH
Set OFF
If Outlet ATO_ADD = ON Then ON
Defer 010:00 Then ON

ATO_LOW
Set OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 999:00 Then ON

Email_ALM
Set OFF
If Temp > 80.5 Then ON
If Temp < 77.0 Then ON
If Outlet ATO_HIGH = ON Then ON
If Outlet ATO_LOW = ON Then ON

Is this functional? Basically it's adding only during the night and if the switch is closed (adding) for longer than 10 mins or doesn't call to top off for 999 mins then it alarms. Both conditions would indicate something isn't working properly. Is there a way to defer for longer than 999mins? Basically I wanted it to alarm if it didn't top off at all for 24 hours, or for longer than 10 mins.

whatcaneyedo
12-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I use a modified version of the one suggested in the users manual (official or unofficial I'm not sure) and its been running flawlessly for nearly a year ever since I removed the old Tunze system.

Switch 4 and 1 are two water level sensors in my sump at close to the same height and switch 3 is a water on the floor sensor. With the OSC function my ATO comes on every 30 minutes for 1 minute and 10 seconds unless the water level sensors or water on the floor sensor are triggered. Because I also use a kalkwasser reactor I have it setup so that the ATO doesn't run if the reactor's mixing pump is running or if the pH jumps up too high.

OSC 000:00/001:10/030:00 Then ON
If Switch4 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch3 CLOSED Then OFF
If Outlet Kalkwasser = ON Then OFF
If pH > 08.40 Then OFF

I'd really think twice before connecting an RO/DI system so that it runs directly into the tank. Not only does it significantly increase the risk of a crash which I can see you're obviously worried about. But its also very hard on the membrane to be turning on and off in short bursts all of the time.

I've got my RO/DI system setup on a solenoid to fill a reservoir beside the tank for two and a half hours on Mondays and Thursdays with this.

Set OFF
If Time 15:30 to 18:00 Then ON
If DoW S-TW-FS Then OFF

Psyire
01-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the example but I'm only using the Avast pressure switch and the mechanical float for a backup. I'm not to interested in buying more modules and float switches in order to program something similar to yours. My thinking was using timers to indicate whether something is wrong or not. Hence my 'strange' program..

I'm not too worried about my direct RO setup, I did it on a 180g for years without issue. I do have the mechanical float incase the solenoid sticks open and I'm using a very expensive stainless steel industrial solenoid.

I was just hoping someone could comment on my programming because I'm not 100% sure it's done right. I do appreciate the suggestions though and hope to get a few more

whatcaneyedo
01-01-2013, 02:39 AM
Have you tried Neptune's vendor support forum on RC? Someone there might be able to spot an issue in it with a quick glance.

Why do you only want your ATO to run at night? Are you using a kalkwasser reactor inline with it?

Psyire
01-08-2013, 04:32 AM
I didn't really get the answers I was looking for on RC, but I've now posted to the brand new Neptune Support forum so we'll see where that goes. I'm not currently running a kalk reactor but I find with only topping off at night I avoid a lot of the on/off cycling of my solenoid and potentially avoiding some of that TDS creep you mentioned. With only evaporating around 1/3 gallon a day I'm sure my RO unit only kicks on every three days or so as my pressure tank takes up some of the slack.