PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max not sticking

Treebeard
12-28-2012, 03:56 PM
I picked up a couple of mini max anemones yesterday and one of them will not grab onto anything. I turned off all the powerheads and tried holding him in place until he got a grip but he eventually just drifts away. He is nice and puffy and seems healthy. Last night I put him in the fuge hoping he would grab onto a piece of rubble but no luck.

I am thinking his foot may be damaged and he will eventually heal but also thinking maybe I should take him back and exchange for another one. When I bought him he was sitting on the sand bed and not attached to anything.

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-28-2012, 04:11 PM
is his foot clean of sand or anything that he might be attached to (maybe detrius)
Did you get it from Concept.if so I will pm you.

Treebeard
12-28-2012, 04:17 PM
This is not one of yours Elias. The pair I got from you on Boxing Day are doing great, just wish I would have bought more!
I picked these guys up at another lfs yesterday.
His foot appears clean and nothing is stuck to it.

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
if there is some slime on the foot rub it off with fingers making sure you have cloves on if its looking like brown slime then the coral is infected,if only clear slime appears then it need time for adjusting regardless either way maxi minis should with no problem attach to anything easily.closer inspection of the entire foot for any rips.I would give it hydroxide or iodine dip then keep it in a perforated Tupperware (or anything similar) in the sump area until it looks like its adhering. Maxi minis are very resilient corals and should pull through.

Treebeard
12-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the advice Elias.
I have never done an iodine dip and I was unable to find much information on making one. Do I just use off the shelf iodine and create a solution with RO/DI water? Can you please advise on what strength to mix it and how long to dip the anemone?

if there is some slime on the foot rub it off with fingers making sure you have cloves on if its looking like brown slime then the coral is infected,if only clear slime appears then it need time for adjusting regardless either way maxi minis should with no problem attach to anything easily.closer inspection of the entire foot for any rips.I would give it hydroxide or iodine dip then keep it in a perforated Tupperware (or anything similar) in the sump area until it looks like its adhering. Maxi minis are very resilient corals and should pull through.

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes of the shelf iodine with either 5% or 3% strength.in a hub filled with one litre of aquarium water and about 3 drops of iodine mixed well.dip the maxi for about 30 seconds while steering the water.when done place e maxi back into tuperwear in the sump and wait... I am sure it will be fine.

Treebeard
12-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks, I will give it a try.