PDA

View Full Version : Clam Questions?

Douglas
12-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Can a clam be glued down? I know it has a foot coming out of the bottom, that it attaches itself to things, but my crabs were constantly pushing over one of my clams. If I didn't catch the fact that it was over on it's side, the clam has potential to die. (which has happened) Disapointing.

Keeping Clams and LED lighting?......another concern.

FishyFishy!
12-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Can a clam be glued down? I know it has a foot coming out of the bottom, that it attaches itself to things, but my crabs were constantly pushing over one of my clams. If I didn't catch the fact that it was over on it's side, the clam has potential to die. (which has happened) Disapointing.

Keeping Clams and LED lighting?......another concern.

You'll be fine with LED's, but there is no way to glue them down. They will wiggle free. And if you did truely stick them down, they would probably not like where you put them and will most likely die.

The only thing you can really do, is support the clam with rocks on either side. Thats what I did when I had a similar problem, seemed to work ok.

MMAX
12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I remember seeing one post in here about gluing a picket fence of rock rubble or SPS frags around the clam's rock so he can't move. I'll be doing this with my maxima when I re-do my rock work in the near future.

Aquattro
12-28-2012, 01:48 PM
I remember seeing one post in here about gluing a picket fence of rock rubble or SPS frags around the clam's rock so he can't move. I'll be doing this with my maxima when I re-do my rock work in the near future.

But if they're moving, it's because they don't like the spot you put them in, which may eventually stress them to the point of dying. Mine wouldn't stay where I wanted it to, but once it moved where it was happy, it's been there for years.

daniella3d
12-29-2012, 02:59 AM
I glue mine on one side of the shell and that help them temporary to get attached without falling. I use the glue in gel from Dollorama (cyanoacrylate).

It is best to let them move if you have the room but I glue mine because I know that the spot I put them on is well suited for them because other clams live there with success. If you are not sure that the spot is well suited, then don't glue them.

I put them on a smaller piece of rock so that later on I can move them if needed, either for a treatment or for relocation.