PDA

View Full Version : Couple newbie Gfo running in a reactor qs

Timbits
12-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Experts! I'm still a noob on this subject.

1) I notice the Gfo tumbling at the top/surface really well, but not moving at all underneath. Is all the Gfo suppose to tumble? Even the bottom?

2) if I test the water coming out the reactor, will it measure 0? If it doesn't, then does that mean I need to change the media.

3) how often do you clean the glass with fresh media. I know some ppl use that as a sign when to change it. With fresh media, do u still have to clean the glass every few days?

Thanks!

Proteus
12-28-2012, 01:10 AM
The gfo should tumble but not a lot. Just enough to keep it agitated. Test the out water from reactor it may not read zero but should read close or if u have po4 in tank it will read less that DT.

Cleaning the glass is a matinee thing alway gunna have to do it but hair algea and cyano would be my tell tale signs of po4 in tank

Did you do a test of dt

Myka
12-28-2012, 01:20 AM
1) Only the very top bit of GFO should gently boil. GFO (and carbon) is soft and if it is tumbling it will grind itself down putting GFO (or carbon) powder into the system which is not ideal.

2) The effluent will probably test "zero" on a low sensitivity test kit (like Salifert or API), but you will probably get a low reading on a high sensitivity kit (like D-D Merck).

3) That has more variables than just PO4. That is more of a reading of overall nutrient level. If nutrients are ultra low then you may "never" clean the glass, if nutrients are high the glass may need cleaning every second day. I think you're doing pretty good if you can go 1-2 weeks without cleaning.

Reef Pilot
12-28-2012, 01:39 AM
I run a triple reactor, and the GFO is in the last one in the series, so the flow is not very strong. As a result I get no tumbling. However, I know my GFO works very well, as it quickly reduces my P04 to zero when I change it.

It usually lasts about a month (even much longer sometimes), and the clue to change it is when my P04 tests start to climb above zero.

I use the LR Hanna Phosphate checker, and it is much more accurate (measures in 2 decimal places) than other test kits that I have used prior. They would show zero long before the Hanna.

Myka
12-28-2012, 01:51 AM
I forgot to mention...it's good practice to open up the flow and shake the reactor once a week to mix it all up to prevent tunneling and solidification of the GFO. it helps to keep detritus from settling and breaking down in there too.

Timbits
12-28-2012, 02:30 AM
1) Only the very top bit of GFO should gently boil. GFO (and carbon) is soft and if it is tumbling it will grind itself down putting GFO (or carbon) powder into the system which is not ideal.

2) The effluent will probably test "zero" on a low sensitivity test kit (like Salifert or API), but you will probably get a low reading on a high sensitivity kit (like D-D Merck).

3) That has more variables than just PO4. That is more of a reading of overall nutrient level. If nutrients are ultra low then you may "never" clean the glass, if nutrients are high the glass may need cleaning every second day. I think you're doing pretty good if you can go 1-2 weeks without cleaning.

Ok Thx I was worried its not tumbling enough, wanted to get the most out of the media. Wow 2 weeks I had to clean the glass every day before using Gfo, but now every few days. Thanks for the tip, will def. do that too

Timbits
12-28-2012, 02:33 AM
I run a triple reactor, and the GFO is in the last one in the series, so the flow is not very strong. As a result I get no tumbling. However, I know my GFO works very well, as it quickly reduces my P04 to zero when I change it.

It usually lasts about a month (even much longer sometimes), and the clue to change it is when my P04 tests start to climb above zero.

I use the LR Hanna Phosphate checker, and it is much more accurate (measures in 2 decimal places) than other test kits that I have used prior. They would show zero long before the Hanna.

Thats good to know. I was worried its not tumbling enough. Do u just dip the checker in the water and it reads it? I hate testing water :twised:

Timbits
12-28-2012, 02:35 AM
The gfo should tumble but not a lot. Just enough to keep it agitated. Test the out water from reactor it may not read zero but should read close or if u have po4 in tank it will read less that DT.

Cleaning the glass is a matinee thing alway gunna have to do it but hair algea and cyano would be my tell tale signs of po4 in tank

Did you do a test of dt

Ok thx I'll test both. Scared to see what it says ......

Reef Pilot
12-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Thats good to know. I was worried its not tumbling enough. Do u just dip the checker in the water and it reads it? I hate testing water :twised:
No, unfortunately it is not quite that simple. But once you do it a couple times, it is easy enough. Here are the instructions if you are interested.
http://www.hannainst.com/manuals/ist713_02_04_10.pdf