PDA

View Full Version : Tunze osmolator problems

daplatapus
12-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, I have this weird, funky thing that happens in my sump where every now and then I get a wave develop in my return pump chamber where my Tunze Osmolator optical sensor sits. So as the wave sloshes back and forth for a bit, it screws with the brains of the module because when the wave drops the level it reads low, and not 2 seconds later (before the pump has a chance to turn on) the wave comes back and it reads proper water level, and on and on.
Add to that I also temporarily rigged up an algae turf scrubber in the same compartment 2-3 weeks ago and it's possible that the CFL I'm using in the brood light has been shining into the optical sensor. I did read somewhere (might have been in the instructions) that this might be a no-no.

So here's the problem: It don't work no more. The module never seems to get a signal from the sensor to tell it there's a low water level, kick the pump on.
So what is more likely:
1) I've blown the module from it coming on and off so many times because of the wave in the sump?
2) Or the sensor is fried because of looking into a Cfl for hours on end?

Anyone know of a way to test the sensor?

FYI, when I unplug the module and plug it back in, I do get that 15 or so seconds of pump operation to purge the line.

Palmer
12-28-2012, 01:18 AM
There are plenty of ways to test the sensor by simulating a decrease in water level. If you have an in sump skimmer just raise your water level in the skimmer that will decrease the level in the sump. As far as testing the sensor in another artificial way I wouldn't know. I know my first tunze ATO went nuts within a couple of months and they replaced it and I haven't had an issue with it for years.

daplatapus
12-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Ya, I needed perhaps an electrical way to test, otherwise the return chamber level where the sensor sits would have been fine :wink:

I talked to Tunze's Canadian contact, a Phil Gilbert with Xenia North American INC, and he's sending me a new sensor. All I had to do was tell him I got it from J&L and he said he's putting it in the mail that day. Sweet customer support.

Rogue951
01-13-2013, 08:41 PM
if u move the float switch (by hand) and don't hear the relay in the brain click it's probably dead.