PDA

View Full Version : Adding Tangs

Steve...
12-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Hi Everyone!

Just like to plan out my tank here... I really like Tangs but not sure if i add them last to my 220 because some species can be aggressive. I don't have any fish in my DT right now but I plan to get a Yellow Tang, Regal Tang, Blond Naso Tang and maybe a Kole Tang eventually. Anyone have advice for me? I like to plan this out so I avoid any aggression and have a higher chance of success.

Psyire
12-27-2012, 07:17 AM
I would add the Regal and Kole Tang first, then once they've settled in add the Yellow and Blonde Naso. I doubt you'll see much for trouble as the 4 tangs you've selected aren't closely related to one another. If you do just tape a big mirror to the side of the tank for a week or so, they'll fight with themselves and eventually give up and should get along. (worked for my dwarf angelfish really well)

The Guy
12-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I have a yellow tang in my DT and plan on adding a Kole after he spends some time in the quarantine tank just to be sure he's all good, bought him yesterday at J&L's boxing day sale, he's very cool. Their fish are usually good to go.

spit.fire
12-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I've got 10 or 11 tangs in my tank, all I can say is every tang has a different personality

All I have to say is I'd suggest adding the yellow last

From my experience my naso isn't aggressive towards anyone, my kole minds his own business most of the time but chases my tomini every now and then, my hippo is a retard and has no idea what's going on and my yellow bows down to my powder grey and sailfin who is huge

But yellows tend to be quite aggressive but I don't see a problem with that combo due to body shapes being completely different

Ryan
12-27-2012, 11:15 PM
The yellow will definatly be the the most aggressive of all your tangs so add him last.

The other 3 it wont matter what order they go in. Naso tangs are pretty mellow and regals just want to be fed they rally dont give a crap what else is going on.

The Guy
12-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Oh well my yellow is already in the tank, any suggestions for when I add my new Kole, maybe in the dark????

naesco
12-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Hi Everyone!

Just like to plan out my tank here... I really like Tangs but not sure if i add them last to my 220 because some species can be aggressive. I don't have any fish in my DT right now but I plan to get a Yellow Tang, Regal Tang, Blond Naso Tang and maybe a Kole Tang eventually. Anyone have advice for me? I like to plan this out so I avoid any aggression and have a higher chance of success.

If you have the patience to wait until your tank is mature 9 months plus, I would add the ones you have chosen togehter if they are the same smallish size.

Make the transfer in the dark and add each fish to different parts of your tank.
Leave the lights off for a couple of days and avoid approaching the tank except for feeding or you will stress them. Feed in several places so they don't compete for food in the same place.

Also feed them garlic and selcon soaked nori
Good luck