PDA

View Full Version : Pink Birdsnest Coral (Seriatopora)

fishnut
08-08-2002, 02:57 AM
Does anyone have experience keeping these corals ?How difficult are they - any problems in keeping them alive ?

stephane
08-08-2002, 10:45 AM
they are not very easy and require a lot of light
and a well established tank

Canadian Man
08-08-2002, 12:05 PM
I had one(frag) and it was doing fine under 560w of flourescent light but I had a tempreture incident and the frag of birdsnest and purple tipped acro both didnt make it. :(

Take the plunge if you have proper lighting.

fishnut
08-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Take the plunge if you have proper lighting.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I have 2-175W 55K MH's and 2-VHO actinics over a 20" deep tank - would you call this "proper lighting " ?

stephane
08-08-2002, 05:27 PM
put it just under the MH and it will be good begin by the bottom and get it up slowly

good luck!

Canadian Man
08-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Will work.
Do what Stepane said you you should be on your way.
Are you getting a frag or a whole colony?

fishnut
08-08-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Canadian Man:
Will work.
Do what Stepane said you you should be on your way.
Are you getting a frag or a whole colony?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Waas looking at the one at J & L, but that's probably not a good way to start - too much of a loss if I'm not successful - although I am keeping other corals with the same rating according to Julian Sprung - Hydnophora, etc.

Thanks for advice, Stephane.

fishnut

stephane
08-09-2002, 01:23 AM
yes sometime it's hard not go at first whit those beautifull piece but it's better just go slowly that way you will enjoy reefing only longer

Canadian Man
08-09-2002, 01:57 AM
Bringing up hydnophora is funny cause every one that knows anything about the coral kinda smirks when they see my hydno doing so well under my current lighting setup. I actually considered it one of my hardiest corals along with my leathers.

Hydno has survived all my accidents and my starpolyps and colt are still in reccesion after 2 to 3 weeks now. :confused:

Any way a little off topic but yea I hate the idea of paying full pop for a big sps colony and having it die. Even the thought of it makes me cringe

MitchM
08-09-2002, 10:11 AM
I've got a colony that has doubled in size in the last year. It's about the size of a softball now and has 2 crabs living in it.
My lighting is the Aqualine Spacelight 3 x 250w DE and I have a CA reactor supplying the 204g tank.
I agree - they have a high light requirement.

Jonathan, sorry to hear the frag didn't work out.

Mitch

Canadian Man
08-09-2002, 01:34 PM
Thanks Mitch,
Yea I feel pretty bad when it happend, Had a tear in my eye. :(