PDA

View Full Version : Workhorse ballast schematics

TANGOMAN
05-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Is it just me or do the diagrams on Fulhams site not make sense. For example. I'm lookin' at the diagram to install 4, 40w NO lamps using a wh7 ballast. The ballast shows four red wires, one for each lamp. One wire to both pins on that same end of the lamp though... ? :confused: . The one yellow wire is shown connecting to the other end of the lamps, but again, to both pins on each lamp.
I can read the hydraulic schematics for an excavator but these diagrams are confirming my stupidity... :lol:
I've wired up PC's using wh 5's and wh7's. I ended up chuckin' the schematics and "wingin' it" untill they worked. That went well as I only busted one $ 50.oo bulb during a mild temper tantrum... :evil:

kari
05-06-2004, 01:31 AM
I followed their schematic and everything worked out fine. The wiring doesn't look as strange when using endcaps like IceCap's. I'm pretty lame when it comes to electrical stuff but look at the number of red wires as the amount of power you want to apply. Yellow is just to complete the circuit. Now I'm confusing myself.

Kari

StirCrazy
05-06-2004, 05:01 AM
remember the "both pins" part. it is important and if you only do one pin it will work but eventualy that pin will get stressed and burn out causing the end of the tube to overheat and possable catch on fire.

Steve

TANGOMAN
05-06-2004, 01:26 PM
So of the four red wires, (one to each bulb), that single wire is connected to each pin. A small jumper wire at the socket is all that would be required...? And a jumper wire at the other end for the yellow as well ?

StirCrazy
05-06-2004, 10:42 PM
So of the four red wires, (one to each bulb), that single wire is connected to each pin. A small jumper wire at the socket is all that would be required...? And a jumper wire at the other end for the yellow as well ?

yes, yes, and yes :mrgreen:

Steve

TANGOMAN
05-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Well there ya' go, it's just that easy...thanks. I had to bust open an old flourescent bulb just to try and figure out what the hell is goin' on in there. Happy to report, no band-aids were needed after performing this act... :cool: . Now I'm really confused. :confused: . The pins on each end are connected to a filament inside. So the electrons come runnin' in there and the filament gets ****ed off, turns all red, next thing ya' know it the gasses are burnin'...? Filaments at both ends burn ? How does it create resistance and glow red if there's only one wire attached... :confused: . I'd think of that as an open circuit. Or is it the gas within the tube that actually creates the resistance resulting in the output of light. Or should I just consider bulbs like woman, and know better than to ask why it does what it does, and just go along with it... :lol:

StirCrazy
05-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Or should I just consider bulbs like woman, and know better than to ask why it does what it does, and just go along with it... :lol:

yup :mrgreen:

Steve

TANGOMAN
05-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Fair enough... :neutral: . That may explain the irrational behaviour of lighting systems on certain cycles... :lol: . I better drop this topic before I get burned !

Happy to report I got the lamps to fire last night, no smoke was released either. I have yet to install the jumper wire to "balance the pins".
Thanks.