PDA

View Full Version : Sick fish

Fire.is.fun
12-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Last time I was at Blue world aquatic I noticed a lot of sick fish in the display, but like a fool I still bought some Corel frags and a feather duster. Two weeks later and now all of my fish are dying from a parasite or something. I thought it was ich but it must be something different because a healthy fish one day is dead the next morning. Has anyone else experienced this and has any idea?

Proteus
12-24-2012, 06:05 PM
What do the fish look like. Got pics

Fire.is.fun
12-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I took some pictures but you can't really see anything in the pictures anyway. The fish have aslime coat on their fins and white spots which I thought was ich but the fish literally die within a day of having this. Some are dead before any symptoms show to

Proteus
12-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Rapid breathing. Ich will be on gills which makes it hard to breathe. The slime could be there natural defense to she'd the paristite off. In my experience gills and fins are the last spot to see ich

I'm no expert though

Fire.is.fun
12-24-2012, 06:23 PM
There is rapid breathing but it seems more like velvet disease. Mortality seems to fast for ich

howdy20012002
12-24-2012, 06:23 PM
sounds more like marine velvet

Proteus
12-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah I was thinking that too.

Velvet does affect gills they will swell and bleed. You may notice gold spots on fish

Caused by a single cell organism (dinoflaggetes

I would call BW and let them know

Nano
12-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah I was thinking that too.

Velvet does affect gills they will swell and bleed. You may notice gold spots on fish

Caused by a single cell organism (dinoflaggetes

I would call BW and let them know

I've seen dino's in the tanks there a few times so its totally possible.

Either way since its a parasite of any type if your fish all die off you'd need to go fallow for at least 6-8 weeks to let the parasite die off in your tank, then qt new fish before stocking again.

Sorry for your lose(s) its tuff to lose the little buggers.

Fire.is.fun
12-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Yeah, this is what I get for not qt. thank you all for the help

Borderjumper
12-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, this is what I get for not qt. thank you all for the help

True.. But honestly why in the world would you even buy a fish from a tank that has sick fish.. Let alone take it home and put it in your tank..

intarsiabox
12-24-2012, 07:29 PM
True.. But honestly why in the world would you even buy a fish from a tank that has sick fish.. Let alone take it home and put it in your tank..

He didn't say he bought any fish, just coral and a featherduster.

Aquattro
12-24-2012, 07:33 PM
I've seen dino's in the tanks there a few times so its totally possible.

Not related.

Fire.is.fun
12-24-2012, 07:34 PM
I should have walked away when I noticed the sick fish but I haven't noticed anyone with feather dusters in while.

Proteus
12-24-2012, 07:39 PM
I've seen dino's in the tanks there a few times so its totally .

Not related.

From what I read there called a Dino simply from the whip like tail they use to propel themselves

Aquattro
12-24-2012, 07:40 PM
From what I read there called a Dino simply from the whip like tail they use to propel themselves

Correct :)

Fire.is.fun
12-24-2012, 07:51 PM
From the short time that the fish looks sick, to being dead, And the looks of the body's after, I'm pretty sure it's marine velvet. At this point there's nothing I can do now but wait until the parasite starves itself out. I just hope that everyone else who reads this is more cautious than I was when they purchase their next tank inhabitant.

Nano
12-24-2012, 07:51 PM
So I'm confused lol can or can they not cause MV? I've read they could or at least carry it in the goo that sits on the sand, but have also read its bologna lol. :S

Fire.is.fun
12-24-2012, 08:02 PM
So I'm confused lol can or can they not cause MV? I've read they could or at least carry it in the goo that sits on the sand, but have also read its bologna lol. :S

I'm assuming that the water that was inside the worms tube had enough parasite to start multiplying and cause the outbreak

Proteus
12-24-2012, 08:24 PM

There's lots of different dinos. 1700 alive marine species

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinoflagellate

Nano
12-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Ahh I get it now. Lol. Thanks Nick

mandyplo
12-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Wow scary... So is there such a thing as quarantining or treating inverts/corals/clams in qt before adding them to your tank if there is risk of them carrying MV or Marine Ich?? Or do people just quarantine fish for the most part