PDA

View Full Version : LF amateur sump builder in Edmonton

turbo
12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I need a sump built as economically as possible in Edmonton. This is why I would like to have it built by an amateur with experience!!:lol:

Anybody with experience in putting together sump tanks, and access to materials and tools, please send me 1 or 2 pictures of your work and a quote. If we agree on a price then I'll request you send me a dinner napkin blueprint to show the plan for baffles and sizes.

Superfluous enhancements like lids and bulkheads won't be necessary.

Or possibly you can re-direct me to the appropriate location for this service. If I don't have luck here I'll probably go visit AquaGiant on 50th he's always got things on the build.

The external dimensions are 39" LONG x 11" WIDE x 18" TALL. The finished product must NOT be larger than this. Roughly 33gal (not accounting for varying water levels).

I have 2 x 1" PVC drains from the main tank. One will be routed to chamber 1 (pre-refuge), the other to chamber 3 (skimmer).

FAR LEFT Pre-refuge from overflow drain A (standard)

MIDDLE LEFT Refugium with 6-7" DSB, some live rubble, possibly chaeto macro algae, definitely for pod growth. I would like this to be as large, and deep, as possible. Requires minimum 16" of clearance horizontally.

MIDDLE RIGHT Skimmer chamber, must be appropriately sized to house a good skimmer (I'll try to pick a model), be of the appropriate water level, and receive water from both refugium and from overflow drain B.

FAR RIGHT Return pump (not to be purchased until after the skimmer).

Other considerations:

- Target flow rate will be somewhere in the league of 600-700 GPH.
- I have a 300W heater that requires 16-18" of clearance horizontally. Let's put that in the refugium...

howdy20012002
12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I say just go to David at Aquagiant.
he will do it cheaper for what you would spend on the glass.

turbo
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
hi thanks for the replies. so i'm going pro with this. apparently it's going to be the more cost effective route seeing as the entire tank needs to be built.

turbo
12-23-2012, 10:20 PM
howdy howdy,

just wanted to add that he agreed to build exactly what I want, custom sized tank and all, for $150. I told him ... DEAL lol

howdy20012002
12-23-2012, 10:26 PM
yep
like I said, probably cheaper than what you would have paid for the glass
glad to hear it worked out for both you and David

scubadawg
12-23-2012, 10:36 PM
David built my tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91225

also did all of Neals's tanks at Marine Experience