PDA

View Full Version : Falco Hawkfish

wavemaster
12-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Just got one of these and a diamond goby for my biocube 29. They are in with 2 aggressive clownfish and a blood shrimp. Anyone have experience with a falco hawkfish? All I know is that they are one of the best choices for a reef tank as far as hawkfish go.

toytech
12-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Had one it was great with all my fish untill i added a yellow watchman goby ,beat the snot out of the poor guy for no reason but was otherwise very peacefull.

Proteus
12-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Say bye bye to your shrimp. The falco will eat it when it molts

wavemaster
12-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Say bye bye to your shrimp. The falco will eat it when it molts

Funny thing was it was in a tank with 5 smaller cleaner shrimp at the LFS. If he gets my blood shrimp, that would be an expensive meal. Did one get your blood shrimp?

If he gets along with the other fish I think its worth the risk.

subman
12-22-2012, 01:39 AM
I had one for years in my 90 and was completely peaceful never touched anything shrimp included

Madreefer
12-22-2012, 01:57 AM
I too had one for years and it never touched a thing either including shrimp. A entertaining fish to watch. Ill be getting a long nosed hawk once my dottyback finally dies

wavemaster
12-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Has anybody had any problems between a goby and the hawk? If all goes well I will be happy as it is a very interesting and cool looking fish.

mandyplo
12-22-2012, 03:05 AM
I too had one for years and it never touched a thing either including shrimp. A entertaining fish to watch. Ill be getting a long nosed hawk once my dottyback finally dies

I have a neon dotty back. Why do you say once yours dies? Is he a pain in the a--?

Madreefer
12-22-2012, 04:06 AM
I have a neon dotty back. Why do you say once yours dies? Is he a pain in the a--?

Yea he's a huge PIA. Orchid dottyback. He's killed several hundred dollars worth of fish. I've tried every means of catching him and distracting him, but unfortunately he's much smarter than me. He must be close to 8 yrs old now. So until he dies no new additions for my tank. He must think he's a 6 line. Same attitude

wavemaster
12-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Yea he's a huge PIA. Orchid dottyback. He's killed several hundred dollars worth of fish. I've tried every means of catching him and distracting him, but unfortunately he's much smarter than me. He must be close to 8 yrs old now. So until he dies no new additions for my tank. He must think he's a 6 line. Same attitude

I almost chose the orchid, but went with the hawk. Glad I did after reading this! So far everybody seems fine and the hawk is all over the tank:biggrin:

badfish!
12-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I've had a few hawks over the years, I've only noticed them harass other fish if the fish was added after them, anybody that was in before was ok.