PDA

View Full Version : Polishing My Water

Steve...
12-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Hi Everyone!

What methods could I use to make my water crystal clear? A UV will work but I don't like the idea of killing off the pods and beneficial organisms in my tank.

The Grizz
12-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Carbon is made to clarify the water isn't it.

Or you could jump on the Chemipure bandwagon.

Proteus
12-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Filter socks also

Steve...
12-20-2012, 04:14 AM
I have the filter socks already... Where would I put carbon? Hope that wasn't a stupid question.

The Grizz
12-20-2012, 04:16 AM
You can put it in a filter bag & run it passive or in a reactor in your sump.

Steve...
12-20-2012, 04:18 AM
could I add the carbon in one of the filter socks?

The Grizz
12-20-2012, 04:26 AM
I have never heard a yes or no to this question but I think you could just make sure the carbon is in a mesh bag made for carbon.

Anyone else have an opinion on this.

kien
12-20-2012, 04:30 AM
I have never heard a yes or no to this question but I think you could just make sure the carbon is in a mesh bag made for carbon.

Anyone else have an opinion on this.

In theory I suppose you could but I would not recommend it. You'll probably get carbon bits stuck to your sock making it a pain to clean. Also, not sure if Steve was asking if it was OK to put carbon in a filter sock that's servicing the return line or not? I would definitely not put carbon in that sock :-)

The Grizz
12-20-2012, 04:33 AM
In theory I suppose you could but I would not recommend it. You'll probably get carbon bits stuck to your sock making it a pain to clean. Also, not sure if Steve was asking if it was OK to put carbon in a filter sock that's servicing the return line or not? I would definitely not put carbon in that sock :-)

Even in its own media bag? Not that I disagree with you Mr. K, I do prefer to run in a reactor myself for many reasons.

kien
12-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Even in its own media bag? Not that I disagree with you Mr. K, I do prefer to run in a reactor myself for many reasons.

Oh yes good point. If it is in a media bag then you can pretty much put it anywhere you want I think. Not sure why you would want to put it in a sock if it is already in a media bag tho?

lastlight
12-20-2012, 04:36 AM
If it's in a filter bag I can't see any harm. It may cause the sock to overflow sooner. I think it's better post sock so you're not trapping larger particles in the media which would hinder its performance.

The Grizz
12-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Oh yes good point. If it is in a media bag then you can pretty much put it anywhere you want I think. Not sure why you would want to put it in a sock if it is already in a media bag tho?

Kinda what I was thinking as well.

If it's in a filter bag I can't see any harm. It may cause the sock to overflow sooner. I think it's better post sock so you're not trapping larger particles in the media which would hinder its performance.

That was also one of the first negatives I though of as well.

Starry
12-20-2012, 04:47 AM
i think it would be more work than just placing the carbon in a high flow are. socks need changed aloot more often than the carbon does. what size tank is this? maybe worthwhile to pick up a phosban reacton and load it with carbon, 2 lil fishies are good, and inexpensive.

The Grizz
12-20-2012, 04:50 AM
i think it would be more work than just placing the carbon in a high flow are. socks need changed aloot more often than the carbon does. what size tank is this? maybe worthwhile to pick up a phosban reacton and load it with carbon, 2 lil fishies are good, and inexpensive.

From OP other thread I only assume it a 220 gal. & not just any carbon either I would be using ROX for sure.

Aquattro
12-20-2012, 05:06 AM
I use carbon in a media bag placed in my filter sock. Less passive than just laying around the sump.

Steve...
12-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! Now I have to decide If I should buy reactor or just a filter bag. Does one have a better result then the other?

Proteus
12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! Now I have to decide If I should buy reactor or just a filter bag. Does one have a better result then the other?

Yeah reactors are more agressive media bag is passive and may build up organics which can breakdown to nitrates. I believe that zeo systems call for passive carbon use. Myself I use a reactor

Nano
12-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I've ran it in a bag passively, as well as a reactor, I don't have socks so in my tank the reactor works best, though with a sock i think it would be just as good, or at least a close second

Ram3500
12-21-2012, 12:39 AM
You wont kill pods with Uv sterilzer . I have a 36 watt and have thousands of pods in my sump and tank. :smile:Its a myth

Steve...
12-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Where can I get the "ROX" carbon?

The Grizz
12-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Get in touch with Eli of CaCaReef ( site sponsor ) he usually has it.