PDA

View Full Version : Reliable Float Valve

Jaws
12-20-2012, 02:51 AM
What would you say the most reliable float valve would be? I've always had good luck with the Kent float valves (knock on wood) but I need something that attaches to a baffle in a sump. I was looking at this one:

http://www.conceptaquatics.ca/index.php/aquarium-hardware/ato-dosers/eshopps-float-valve-for-auto-top-off.html

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

viperfish
12-20-2012, 03:43 AM
I ordered one of these from J&L, I tested it on a 5 gallon bucket and it didn't work. It just wouldn't seal and eventually overflowed. I ended up going to crappy tire and buying one of these http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/Plumbing/ToiletRepairAccessories/PRD~0643140P/Humidifier+Float+Valve.jsp?locale=en

FragIt Dan
12-20-2012, 02:39 PM
5 out of 6 of my Kent float valves have sealed properly, one leaked a slow trickle of about 3l/day. I have had these installed on my sumps for several years without issue. Is the baffle glass? I just got some acrylic and bent a bracket for my float valves for my sumps that have glass baffles.
Dan

Aquattro
12-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Jason, I can show you a way to mount the Kent to a baffle, I've always used Kent and rarely had trouble. One needed a bead of silicone around the seam to prevent it from taking on water, but overall, 12 years using them and I would keep using them.

molotov
12-20-2012, 05:37 PM
What would you say the most reliable float valve would be? I've always had good luck with the Kent float valves (knock on wood) but I need something that attaches to a baffle in a sump. I was looking at this one:

http://www.conceptaquatics.ca/index.php/aquarium-hardware/ato-dosers/eshopps-float-valve-for-auto-top-off.html

Any other suggestions?

I have that same setup that I also bought from concept. I can tell you it works amazing. Bob's your uncle with that piece of hardware. Enough Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaws
12-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys. I've already got a Kent valve so maybe I'll stick with that if you can show me how to mount it Brad.

Seriak
12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys. I've already got a Kent valve so maybe I'll stick with that if you can show me how to mount it Brad.

I would be interested as well

Aquattro
12-20-2012, 07:27 PM

Drop by over the weekend and you can see how I set mine up. Not sure I can get a pic where it is that shows anything..

Jaws
12-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm gone all weekend unfortunately. Be back Sunday and could stop by Xmas eve but probably don't want to interrupt you then.

Aquattro
12-20-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm off until Jan 2, so anytime after XMas is good...

Delphinus
12-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Sounds like you're set, but, for what it's worth, there's a $10 (ish) float valve you can get at Home Depot/Rona/etc that is used for furnace humidifiers that has no metal parts (all plastic). The feed line fits through a 1/2" hole (whereas you need 5/8", IIRC, for the Kent valves). They are open on the bottom so that you get an air pocket. I have one that has been in use for something like 12 years now on a tank (not the same tank mind you but has migrated from tank to tank over the years) and it has never failed. Float valves are the K.I.S.S. principle in action. (My float *switch* based topup, however, has had numerous failures in the two years it has been in use.)

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/replacement-float-valve-assembly/948915

As for mounting in a baffle type situation, I'm not sure what Brad has in mind but some ideas that I've done in the past that have worked for me:

1) Drill a hole in the baffle, mount the float valve in there. If you happen to have access to a glass drill bit that is 5/8" (5/8" for Kent, mind you if you drill 5/8" and go with the Home Depot valve I linked to, it will still work OK, you can fill the gap with silicone if you want)

2) Take a half-pipe (or quarter pipe) and mount it to the surface and drill through that. Half pipe if flush mounting to the baffle, quarter pipe if mounting in a corner. Silicone can be used to attach.

3) An acrylic bracket that mounts to the glass would work well too.

Hope this helps. cheers

Tangled Knot
12-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I have used the same home depot humidier float valve without fail for over 15 years. Less then $10.00

Jaws
12-21-2012, 05:42 PM
That's great info. Thanks again guys.

mike31154
12-21-2012, 07:00 PM
+1 on the Wait furnace humidifier job. A heat gun, some acrylic & a few nylon screw/nuts, maybe a tap & die, you're done. I even cut mine shorter to reduce the in tank footprint. Still works like a champ after years. As a bonus, there is an adjustment wheel that allows a small amount of mechanical level adjustment. Other than that, the bracket has to be built with additional level adjustment if required.

Photo shows my rig before I cut one (or two, don't recall) chambers off the end of the plastic float.

https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pHKTvnfROs8jp-kZ91tlLcIikeV8XIg9rdyCGXzpJL_UrwpTJeg-oZv9flA9M-rzBr7ct-zhjFWg/FloatValve.JPG?psid=1

Jaws
01-05-2013, 06:18 AM
So apparently there isn't a Home Depot in BC that stocks these. I've checked. But Alberta has a ton of them, especially Calgary. If anyone in Alberta was willing to pick me up a few and ship em to me I would really appreciate it. Let me know what its worth to ya. Thanks guys.

mike31154
01-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Check some of the other hardware/reno stores if you can't find one at HD. Often smaller businesses will carry them. Home Hardware, Rona... or just order one online.

Jaws
01-05-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll check out some other places. I'd love to just be able to buy it online but it's an in store only item.