PDA

View Full Version : One of my chromis got his tail bite off.

The Guy
12-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Ok so one of my beloved Oselara clowns decided this little chromis was too close to their pulsating exenia and well the poor little guy got his tail bite half off and today the other half fell off. He seems to swim ok and I think he's eating, I got some food with garlic in it to maybe help his emune system.
So should I just leave him in the tank and see if he makes it or? I tried to catch him but with a tank full of rock it's almost impossible to snag him out. I guess if it dies my bottom hermit's clean up crew will have meal, but I hope he makes it. :sad:

mrhasan
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
I had my firefish's tail half eaten by "well-mannered" dottyback. It grew back within a month.

So I guess the chromis should be fine :) (given that he has learnt his lesson)

christyf5
12-19-2012, 05:39 PM
He should be fine and depending on how much got bit off, it should grow back. If its into the caudal peduncle (the meaty bit), it may be slow to grow back or not grow back at all. If it was just the fin itself, it will grow back quicker. He may have trouble navigating or swimming so if you have lots of flow in the tank you may want to reduce it if you see he is struggling.

The Guy
12-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, now today I can't see him anywhere, so I'm not sure if he's hiding or dead.