PDA

View Full Version : 300 Gal build

Simons
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Greetings,

First time poster here and thought I would share my tank build. Well at least from concept to design phase at first.

I am developing my basement and want to install a display tank viewable from 3 sides. Dimensions are 72 x 32 x 32 inches. I want to place the tank between our media / bar area and the work out space which is located behind it but, I still want to be able to view the tv from the work out area.

Hence there will be no canopy, and I do not want to hang any lights. I am thinking of a Euro braced design for the tank but while researching lighting I thought this could be tricky. No canopy, no hanging lights, I really would like to go LED but have not found any fixtures that long. I am looking to fixture ideas that could work that are low profile.

This will be a FOWLR tank however, I want to build in expansion for the possibility of going reef into the future.

Any lighting thoughts?

Regards

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Welcome to canref.
This going to be a sweet build.
For the lights I could only think right now using recessed LED lighting similar to this photo.this is what I have installed into my kitchen and I love it and its cheap :biggrin:
http://www.ledlightingsfactory.com/images/464.jpg

Oh,you could come by anytime to view this setup.
Cheers

The Grizz
12-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Welcome Simons to CanReef, dont be afraid to ask lots of questions no matter how silly you think they are. Nice size tank for your first build.

Shifty203
12-19-2012, 03:39 AM
Sunbrite makes a 72" led fixture. I've been using one since they came out, and haven't had any issues. I was going to the store to get radions, but big Al's had a sunbrite over one of their tanks, and I loved how it looked. The price difference played a small part too.

Simons
12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
thanks for some of the responses. I had heard of the Sunbrite series of fixtures but most of the reviews I have read on them regarding performance was pretty underwhelming.

The majority of complaints I read about these lights were that the cooling fans in the 7 series was quite loud and when the power goes out and comes back on they instantly goto full power regardless of your programmed settings.

Just a little bit Leary of these lights from my limited research I have done.

sphelps
12-19-2012, 02:39 PM
You could always make a frame that sits on the tank that can hold the more modular LED pendants like AI, Ecotech & GHL.

The Maxspects also have a rail mounting system
http://blog.aquanerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Maxspect-Mazzarra-LED.jpg

Aquattro
12-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I do like that mounting rail! Hmm..

Seriak
12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I used that rail to mount my Radions. It is very sturdy.

Shifty203
12-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I've never had my sunbrites come on full blast after unplugging them. Mine go straight back into the program cycle.

I can't say anything about the noise on the fan, as I've never listened for it. I can say for sure its not louder than the rest of the equipment on my tank.

As far as coverage goes, my 6' 125Gal is covered from corner to corner, with quite a bit of light leaking on the front and back of the tank. I am currently working on a 7' X 24" x 30" tank, and I plan on using my 72" fixture as the only lighting. I'm fairly confident it will be more than enough. Because of where my rocks and coral will be placed, im not too concerned about the corners of the tank being a little dimmer.

Salt2Death
12-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm running the 72" SB and LOVE IT-
No issue with sound at all it's quiet, never a hick-up and if the power goes off n on it reverts to its pre programmed setting. As for power- 30" deep and it's to bright I run at 70% at best. Full spectrum, no stupid controller all actually witless unlike AiSol or others, thin fixture super light, and cheaper with amazing replacement warranties shipped to your door! Lets see you find better, cost/ease to use.

Love

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

Simons
12-19-2012, 09:50 PM
wow, great input. I may have to give them another look. That mounting rail does look sexy as well..

hum choices...

:biggrin:

Simons
04-10-2013, 05:23 AM
some updates:

due to reasons beyond my control...uhum....(wife) my tank has shrunk from 300G to ...250Gal :tape2: that's okay.
Final dimensions are 72" x 28" x 28" and I have started to purchase some equipment. I went with a Tunze 1073.110 return pump and a SWC 230 cone skimmer, I did a significant amount of research on the pump and skimmer and those 'seem' to be among the best rated for efficiency and quiet operation.

I REALLY like the MRC 48" bio sump...but they are north of $1K just for the sump. I have a design in mind so I think I will include the sump build in with the tank build when I RFP.

Definitely Euro-braced for the DT and I think I will go with the SB F series V2 lighting fixture, I have seen one in action and done some net review hunting and they do seem to be reliable and popular.

I want a SSB (around 2") with about 1mm size aragonite, and I am trying to get some Tropic Eden Reef sand but..wow what a nightmare! NO ONE in Canada sells the stuff and it appears to me, from my research that there is only one place in the US that does as well. Which reminds me, I have contacted said US supplier who is willing to put in a large bulk order IF...IF I do the customs work. We will see how that progresses, if not I might just use the available stuff (dry). But I really love the look of the Tropic Eden stuff.

Finally..I will be on the hunt for 250Lbs of dry rock! More to come....

Simons
05-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Met with Concept last week, met with Denny and we went over my tank design. Getting closer, some drawing snap shots are below.

Simons
06-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Got a 'sneak peak' at my tank and sump over at Concept yesterday...starting to get antsy...

https://www.facebook.com/checksix?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?fbid=10152849120185542&set=a.10152261393765542.928680.712015541&type=1&theater

Simons
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Simons
07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
when I get some time, I will upload some images of the progress, but so far I am very happy with the status to date.