PDA

View Full Version : Question about clam

Oilers
12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I have recently purchased a couple crocea clams and lost both of them today. I was placing them on the rock and noticed that they were knocked down to the sand a couple times. I picked them up and put them back on the rock. This morning, they were not at where I put them last night and I found them on the sand again but only the shells were left.
What would likely to knock the clams off the rock and what would have eaten them? If I get more clams in the future, what should I do to ensure their survival? Do I need to glue them on the rock? Thanks all for your help.

Borderjumper
12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
I have recently purchased a couple crocea clams and lost both of them today. I was placing them on the rock and noticed that they were knocked down to the sand a couple times. I picked them up and put them back on the rock. This morning, they were not at where I put them last night and I found them on the sand again but only the shells were left.
What would likely to knock the clams off the rock and what would have eaten them? If I get more clams in the future, what should I do to ensure their survival? Do I need to glue them on the rock? Thanks all for your help.
I wonder if they were healthy when you got them? they should have attached to the rock and been unable to get knocked off. When you purchased them were their "foot" intact?

Oilers
12-18-2012, 08:30 PM
They were placed on the sand in the store when I got them. Sorry for the stupid question but they have foot??

04V10
12-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah they have a foot that grabs onto the rock when they find their happy spot. One thing about Crocea clams is they have to have intense lighting, so they may have been moving to try and find some appropriate lighting. One other thing is they don't seem to like too high of a flow. If it's mantle was flying around then it might not have liked that either.

Before it died, was the mantle coming out fully? Was there any pinched mantle issues? What are your water parameters?

I find it hard that they both just up and died one day and there is nothing left in the shell. There should be some stinky remnants of the clam in the shell....:sad: What other inhabitants have you gotten in the tank?

When I first got mine, I put it on the sand with a shell under it as I wanted it in the sand bed as well, however it kept moving around the sand bed everyday looking for a better spot. I then moved it up onto the rocks closer to the lights and it seemed to latch on and be happy. I had a different lighting system than my radions now, so I am sure that I could put it in the sand with a rock or shell under it and it will attach.

Borderjumper
12-18-2012, 08:59 PM
They were placed on the sand in the store when I got them. Sorry for the stupid question but they have foot??
It's called a byssal gland. Sometimes these get ripped off when the clam is collected..

04V10
12-18-2012, 09:00 PM
It's called a byssal gland. Sometimes these get ripped off when the clam is collected..

Bah!....I couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks..lol

Oilers
12-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah they have a foot that grabs onto the rock when they find their happy spot. One thing about Crocea clams is they have to have intense lighting, so they may have been moving to try and find some appropriate lighting. One other thing is they don't seem to like too high of a flow. If it's mantle was flying around then it might not have liked that either.

Before it died, was the mantle coming out fully? Was there any pinched mantle issues? What are your water parameters?

I find it hard that they both just up and died one day and there is nothing left in the shell. There should be some stinky remnants of the clam in the shell....:sad: What other inhabitants have you gotten in the tank?

When I first got mine, I put it on the sand with a shell under it as I wanted it in the sand bed as well, however it kept moving around the sand bed everyday looking for a better spot. I then moved it up onto the rocks closer to the lights and it seemed to latch on and be happy. I had a different lighting system than my radions now, so I am sure that I could put it in the sand with a rock or shell under it and it will attach.

I put them on top of the highest rock so they can be get as much light as they can since I have been told that they like to get lots of light. Before they die, the mantle was coming out fully. The only time they would close up was when I fed the fishes and the fishes got too close to them. Maybe that's why they moved?? Do they only move at night?
There's nothing left in the shell. It was cleaned out spotless. I have tangs, clownfishes, copperband, wrasses, gobies, cleaner and fireshrimps and snails. I don't have the water parameter right now. I can measure it later if needed.

Oilers
12-18-2012, 09:11 PM
How do I check for them when I purchase the clam to make sure they are not damaged?

Flash
12-18-2012, 09:14 PM
i had three clams in my tank, I am now down to 1. they are perfectly happen then BAM... water is all fine... don't know what's up with mine!

Borderjumper
12-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Could have been the copperband.

kien
12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
It was cleaned out spotless. I have tangs, clownfishes, copperband, wrasses, gobies, cleaner and fireshrimps and snails. I don't have the water parameter right now. I can measure it later if needed.

What kind of tangs? I have seen some regal/blue tangs go to town on clams :( Not all but some copperbanded butterfiles also enjoy clams. What kind of wrasses? There are reef safe and non reef safe wrasses where some of the non reef safe wrasses will go to town on clams.

Oilers
12-18-2012, 09:57 PM
What kind of tangs? I have seen some regal/blue tangs go to town on clams :( Not all but some copperbanded butterfiles also enjoy clams. What kind of wrasses? There are reef safe and non reef safe wrasses where some of the non reef safe wrasses will go to town on clams.
I have regal, naso, purple and yellow tang. I have capenter wrasse, exquisite fairy wrasse and another wrasse that I forgot its name. I think I have a thread on it that I've asked for identification.

banditpowdercoat
12-19-2012, 12:32 AM
To get them to plant, I put a piece od LR in one of those little Glad reusible.disposable containers with some sand. Hes happy there, and ataching to rock. Once attached can place the rock where I want and he should stay put, hopefully

whatcaneyedo
12-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Clams are such a pain in the butt... I've killed plenty over the years. A few lasted as long as five years but usually I only get 2-3 years before something happens. Pinched mantle, fish nipping, big ugly bristle worms, and parasitic snails oh my. A few of mine looked fine one day and were then dead the next but most of the time they look pinched for a week or more before they died completely.

You said that you recently purchased them, how long ago? I've had a tang and a CBB pick on them before so that could be an issue but it shouldn't have killed them that fast. If they didn't survive for very long I'd be inclined to think that they either weren't very healthy to begin with, they weren't acclimated very well or you have water chemistry instability issues.

Based on your fish list it sounds like you've got a pretty big tank. A large tank full of fish etc could eat up a small dead clam overnight easily.

daniella3d
12-19-2012, 03:16 AM
yep...copperband are active all night long. But eating 2 clams in one night? that's a lot even for a large copperband.

They could have melted as well. Small clam less than 3" tend to melt sometimes. How big where they?

fishoholic
12-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Could have been the copperband.

I had a CBB knock over and start eating a clam, once the clam was knocked over and damaged the rest of my fish jumped in for an expensive meal :evil:

dustinc
12-19-2012, 02:03 PM
My copper band never touches my clam, but he's weird he likes flake food, and the clam is above the sail-fin tang's cave and he is not to fond of the copper-band, so maybe its just my sailfin protecting my clam