PDA

View Full Version : Tominini tang vs diamond goby

Coralgurl
12-18-2012, 03:54 PM
What is with my tangs?? My tominini tang chases my goby any time he's out sifting. I just noticed my goby no longer comes out, hides under a rock and is missing an eye.

Why are my tangs so aggressive with other fish? I feed nori every couple of days, they are in an appropriate sized tank, feed daily a mix of frozen foods. Lots of rock work to hide in, swim through.

Should I just get rid of the tang?

lastlight
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
my maculiceps didn't let my diamond watchman clean the right third of the sand but he never caused him actual harm. My sand on that side of the tank was starting to all fuse together as a result! The tang was becoming more tolerant gradually but sounds like your situation is a bit more extreme.

Coralgurl
12-18-2012, 04:11 PM
My goby would come out and sift, the tang would chase him, he'd duck under a rock, tang would go away and he'd be back out again. Since he's lost an eye, I only see the goby when I feed the fish, he comes out to eat, but stays by his cave now.

He kept my sand nice and clean, but it's starting to look dirty again.

Ugh, fish can be so frustrating sometimes....

Leah
12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
My tangs have always had a thing for my Blennies...different Tangs and different Blennies... didn't matter.

dacookster
12-23-2012, 02:43 AM
My first tank mates in my 60g were a yellow tang and a clown pair. Since then in the past year I've added a bi-colour blennie, fork-tail blennie, mandarin, firefish, cleaner wrasse, and a banggai. The tang never really had an issue with each addition and the balance would return after a few days. But recently, I did the stupidly unimaginable no-no of adding a small Blue Regal to an established system dominated by Queen Goldie as my kids call the yellow. We've all been told the issues of tangs and smaller systems. Right away she would whip her tail at the little guy an push him up against the glass. Well for the time being, I've had a surprising change of tides. Now this could be just dumb luck and not have anything to do with what I did, but I printed off a picture of a large regal, 'bout 3 times the size of the yellow, and taped it to the glass where the poor baby regal was being smothered. Almost immediately the yellow tang began to recede to the other side of the tank. I kept him occupied with some nori for a while, and thats when the magic happened. The regal began exploring more of the tank and even getting in on the nori. Two days later (with the picture still left on the glass), the regal struts his stuff all over, and the yellow avoids him for the most part. But whats really interesting, is every once in a while, they'll actually slowly rub up against each other as if they're best pals. The regal will pause, and get a cleaning from my cleaner, and likes to hang out in the fingers of one of my stoney colonies. Like I said, might have been dumb luck, and it might not last, but I figured if people could use pictures to coax clowns into hosting with anemones, why not try one to adjust some behavioural attitudes. Just thought I'd share that story with you. Perhaps it is possible change the behaviour of our little friends from the sea.:wink: