PDA

View Full Version : New Member / Skimmer

chatyak
12-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Hello all. New member here....I'm from Niagara.... always nice to know of more locals in the hobby...

My first post will be a rant and some questions...

1st.... I would encourage everyone never to buy from SWC. The impeller I had on my skimmer broke apart and I had to buy a new one. So I ordered a new end-piece.. the mesh mod that sits on the magnet portion that spins. Well - it's completely different from the old one. The notch inside is smaller and narrow, it has more shapes inside , and the list goes on. I emailed the pictures to the owner saying it does not fit, no matter how hard I try to get it on - also showing the difference in the 2 pieces... it takes almost 2 weeks to get an answer with "it's the same impeller. thanks". Not to mention it cost $20 to ship a little piece of plastic...

Totally unacceptable - especially since I found out he was convicted of illegal animal imports. So I'm done with that shady business forever.

Now on the bright side :lol: I am considering the RLSS R6-i skimmer, or the new Skimz VSC SM163 DC Pump for my reef.

I see the skimz is listed at 900 lph while the RLSS is 960 lph. Also the skimz allows you to control the water with a gate valve but the RLSS does not, unless I am mistaken.

Any thoughts on which?

Here is the skimz:

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Skimz-SM163-DC3000-1.jpg

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Skimz-SM163-DC3000-2.jpg

and the RLSS

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/l/rlss-6i-3.jpg

reefwars
12-18-2012, 05:18 AM
rlls all the way .....i freaking love these skimmers , dead quiet , variable speed pump and low cost plus controller to boot.

thats my vote:)

kien
12-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Welcome to Canreef! That's sucky about the skimmer. Hate it when new things break! I don't have personal experience with either but know people with both and they rave about them. This leads me to conclude that they must both be good skimmers which means you probably won't go wrong with either one.

chatyak
12-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Hi Reefwars.

Are you able to adjust the level inside the skimmer other than adjusting the speed of the pump? Is there any way to adjust the water level except by pressing the buttons on the controller?

chatyak
12-18-2012, 05:24 AM
Welcome to Canreef! That's sucky about the skimmer. Hate it when new things break! I don't have personal experience with either but know people with both and they rave about them. This leads me to conclude that they must both be good skimmers which means you probably won't go wrong with either one.

Thanks kien. Do you have any insight to the difference in air? 900 vs 960 lph... and the water level issue?

What about the pump restarting after a power failure. Does it keep the same speed?

reefwars
12-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Hi Reefwars.

Are you able to adjust the level inside the skimmer other than adjusting the speed of the pump? Is there any way to adjust the water level except by pressing the buttons on the controller?

the buttons on the controller is just for rpm's of the motor, the skimmer its self has a pipe for adjusting water height. the skimz has a "gatevalve" but i cant be the only one who finds their gatevalves kinda low grade lol . a real gatevalve coulbe be easily added to the rlss as well with an easy mod.

i cant comment on the new skimz as they are too new but same goes with the rlss. realistically they are built very much the same in quality, i just dont like the way water is adjusted for the skimz.

i imagine the controller for the skimz is the same as the rlls so a few different presets for pump speed and a 10min feed button.

reefwars
12-18-2012, 05:35 AM
What about the pump restarting after a power failure. Does it keep the same speed?

yes it goes back to speed as soon as it comes back on , same with the 10min feed when pushed.

kien
12-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Thanks kien. Do you have any insight to the difference in air? 900 vs 960 lph... and the water level issue?

Sorry I don't answers to those questions :-(. Mostly I'm tagging along to hear more input on these skimmers as well. Seriosuly, controllable skimmers?? How cool is that!?

chatyak
12-18-2012, 05:39 AM
the buttons on the controller is just for rpm's of the motor, the skimmer its self has a pipe for adjusting water height. the skimz has a "gatevalve" but i cant be the only one who finds their gatevalves kinda low grade lol . a real gatevalve coulbe be easily added to the rlss as well with an easy mod.

i cant comment on the new skimz as they are too new but same goes with the rlss. realistically they are built very much the same in quality, i just dont like the way water is adjusted for the skimz.

i imagine the controller for the skimz is the same as the rlls so a few different presets for pump speed and a 10min feed button.

Could you take a couple pics of the pipe adjustment on the rlss? Is it a curved edge that turns inside the pipe to open/close water outlet?

Best,

reefwars
12-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Could you take a couple pics of the pipe adjustment on the rlss? Is it a curved edge that turns inside the pipe to open/close water outlet?

Best,

yes it is , the pipe is a 1 1/2" stand pipe cut down on a 45 at the end as you turn the pipe it opens, there are stops on either end so you dont lose track of which way is which.

the skimz uses a gatevalve technique where you turn the gatevalve to raise or lower a barricade

reefwars
12-18-2012, 05:51 AM
you could easily put the pipe in the open position and add a gate valve if you wanted then you could have quick access to throttle or close the valve and still be able to fine tune it.

chatyak
12-18-2012, 06:05 AM
you could easily put the pipe in the open position and add a gate valve if you wanted then you could have quick access to throttle or close the valve and still be able to fine tune it.

So it is really the same as the output on this picture, except vertical?

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9717/imag0269ku.jpg

Is it easy to make very small adjustments or does the pipe turn too fast? I'm not too handy so I wouldn't know how to add a gate valve.

reefwars
12-18-2012, 06:15 AM
for the rlss its a 180 degree turn to either open it or close it , so the tuning is fast but hard to pin point. the pipe its self turns easily

the skimz is going to take alot of full 360 degree turns so can easily be tuned,but slower on the off and on, the handle is also easier to use then the pipe of the rlss which is often covered in salt or something anyways lol

chatyak
12-18-2012, 06:22 AM
for the rlss its a 180 degree turn to either open it or close it , so the tuning is fast but hard to pin point. the pipe its self turns easily

the skimz is going to take alot of full 360 degree turns so can easily be tuned,but slower on the off and on, the handle is also easier to use then the pipe of the rlss which is often covered in salt or something anyways lol

I'm at a loss for which... am I allowed to post links here? Does anyone have experience with one of the CAN Vendors for the rlss - they only want $350 - but the site looks dodgy with no address etc..

I wonder how much the shape of the skimmer plays a role - the curved rlss versus the cylinder-to-curved skimz.