PDA

View Full Version : What type of GFO

Abe
12-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Good day all, I am not sure if someone already asked this question, but I am setting up my new 230G tank and was wondering what is a good type of GFO and carbon to use. Also if I can find it locally or online. I have 2 vertex UF-20 reactors. Thank you.

Proteus
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Abe I use rowa phos. Though its a little more expensive. It won't leach into the system once saturated. I've used generic brands and was never quite satisfied

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/rowaphos-why-waste-your-money

daplatapus
12-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Ive been using the high grade stuff from BRS. I tried the lower capacity GFO and there's a definite difference.

kien
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Ive been using the high grade stuff from BRS. I tried the lower capacity GFO and there's a definite difference.

+1. High Capacity GFO from BRS is what I use too. Great stuff. Used to use Rowaphos but I prefer the BRS GFO.

Proteus
12-17-2012, 04:09 PM
+1. High Capacity GFO from BRS is what I use too. Great stuff. Used to use Rowaphos but I prefer the BRS GFO.

Ever tried popcorn😜

kien
12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Ever tried popcorn😜

I eat popcorn all the time. :pop2:

lastlight
12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
RowaPhos in a reactor is a giant mess and hassle I found. I prefer either of the BRS varieties but the HC rinses clean in 3 seconds and has more power (and cost mind you).

I'm using filter bags in my nano currently and someone gave me a new container of RowaPhos for free and it works fine but I've got BRS ready to go once it runs out.

Coralgurl
12-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I like rowaphos in a bag and the brs hc in a reactor. I'm using the hc in bags ATM and it doesn't work as well IMHO......

Oilers
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Abe,
I use Rowa Phos for GFO and Kent Marine carbon for Carbon and so far, I love them. I bought both from J&L. I bought lots so if you want a sample to test them out yourself, come by my place and I'll give you some.

Coleus
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Abe I use rowa phos. Though its a little more expensive. It won't leach into the system once saturated. I've used generic brands and was never quite satisfied

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/rowaphos-why-waste-your-money

Not true. Randy on RC demonstrated in his experiments that Rowaphos can release phosphate back to the water.

Anyway, both products ROWA and GFO are great products and you can't go wrong with either one of them. I just prefer GFO for how easy to clean.