PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Goby

wavemaster
12-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I have decided I want to add a diamond goby to my 29 gallon biocube. I think they look cool and I want to have white sand. Has anyone kept one of these in a similar size tank to mine? Some say 30 gallons while others say 50 gallon minimum. I will be looking for the smallest diamond goby I can find.

I do not mind my sand being stirred up, but I have not touched my sand for a year. I am worried when I add it, toxins will come up from the sand. How worried should I be about adding this fish? My LFS will be getting them in next week. Would it help to gradually stir the sand myself over this week before getting the goby next week?

Any other tips on caring for this fish? My sandbed is about 2'' deep and tank has been running 6 years.

Current stock:
- 2 black and white ocellaris clowns
- blue/green chromis
- blood shrimp
-sand conch
-hermit crabs
-snails
-25lbs live rock
-corals (green star, kenya tree, mushrooms,green frogspawn, torch, finger leather, tree, and toadstool leather)

11purewater
12-15-2012, 10:13 PM
He may not have enough surface area to keep himself well fed unless the fish store is feeding him something else.Stir a little bit of sand and check for sulfer issues,grey and black layers.

tim the toolman
12-15-2012, 10:27 PM
I had a diamond goby for quite a while in a 46g and he was fine. He stirred the sanded throughout the day and when feeding time happened he jumped in on the action as well. I think they will just about all eat frozen foods and the like.

ensquire
12-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Have had one in my 36 gallon for 3 yrs now, no problems. He's a busy boy. I just wish that I didn't have the fine sand, cause he stirs it up all day long...

intarsiabox
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
I think you'll be fine. Mine did a great job on the sand and he didn't spit it all over the corals but he was also a little pig. He would dive right in and compete with the rest of the fish anytime there was food added to the tank. Definetely the best sand sifter I ever owned.