PDA

View Full Version : set up for QT tank

Calgarynewtankguy
12-15-2012, 04:24 PM
looking at setting up a QT tank just wanted to check what others were using. I have 2 spare tanks (30 gal and 10 gal) want to have something simple.

my thoughts are just need a heater and some flow but not sure what to through on for filtration.

daplatapus
12-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I use 2 - 20 gal tanks. Each has all their own heaters, filters, glass scrubbers, PVC etc. For filters I have HOB Aquaclear 100's I think. They have a little basket to hold up to 3 foam filters. I put 3 new filters in the basket and hang that right in my sump. When I need to set up a QT, I just take it out, pop it in the HOB filter and fire it all up.
All my fish go through a tank transfer regimen and I sterilize everything between transfers. During the tank transfer period I do not use the filters, as the fish go through a 100% water change every 3rd day and levels have never (IME) climbed high enough to be harmful.

asylumdown
12-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Two 15 gallon tanks, each with a powerhead, heater, and light. Same as daplatapus, I'm starting to use the tank transfer method. I've got enough filter media to fill two aquaclear 20's and a Fluval canister filter cycling in a bucket in my garage, and will throw one of those on one of the tanks after the last transfer of my next batch of fish.

Before this I had a 40 gallon breeder with an ATO, lights, heater, powerhead, and canister filter

Leah
12-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Aqua Clear hang-on 70's for me...I have a 20 gal that I use use.

Reef_Geek
12-16-2012, 02:23 AM
I have a bare bottom 25 gallon with a Rena canister filter, two Seapora sponge filters, heater, algae clip, and some PVC 2" T couplers and 2.5" Y couplers as habitat.

I like the biological filtration capacity of the sponge filters because I like to feed heavy for new fish that are willing to eat... and also, some really really new fish won't eat so there's crap on the bottom until I get a chance to siphon.

Using Cupramine, and salinity just slightly below normal (ease osmoregulation on fish, not for killing ciliates).

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/548727_10151384590527953_1924754760_n.jpg