PDA

View Full Version : What a good Wrasse too add to my tank?

Phil
12-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Looking for suggestions on a wrasse to add to my tank I'm looking for something reef safe that will get along with my 6 line and yellow and would like something that hunts pods at night. Almost forgot I have a 75 gallon tank.

intarsiabox
12-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Looking for suggestions on a wrasse to add to my tank I'm looking for something reef safe that will get along with my 6 line and yellow and would like something that hunts pods at night. Almost forgot I have a 75 gallon tank.

I can't guarantee about getting along with a 6 line but flasher wrasses such as McKoskers or Scotts are really nice. Solaris wrasses have been peaceful in my experience and are another beautiful fish with lots of personality.

MMAX
12-15-2012, 04:54 AM
I can't guarantee about getting along with a 6 line but flasher wrasses such as McKoskers or Scotts are really nice. Solaris wrasses have been peaceful in my experience and are another beautiful fish with lots of personality.

Scott's are actually a type of fairy wrasse. Still beautiful fish if you can get your hands on one.

Madreefer
12-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Thats a tough question to answer when you throw the 6line in to the mix. Not too many wrasses that those wrasseholes get along with. If you ditch the 6line you'll have so many great choices. 6lines are the devil.

lpsreefer
12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
I have 3 six lines and only one is an wrassehole.
I have checker and picture(pink belly) with my six line no problem as they become bigger then six lines.

whatcaneyedo
12-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Even in a 225gal tank a six line would not leave a friends new fairy wrasse alone. I had one once upon a time in a 50gal that wouldn't allow me to keep a yellow coris wrasse, small clownfish, or yasha goby with it. Your best bet might be to get something much larger than it... and I'd highly recommend you have a cover for your tank otherwise it will only be a matter of time before you find them on the floor.

Phil
12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
My six lines been preatty good had him and the coris for 6 months but I'm setting up a new 36x24x12 frag tank so someone might get banished.

windcoast reefs
12-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I would look at the christmas wrasse, they can usually hold there own in a tank with any aggressive fish. Plus they are pretty vicious pod hunters. 6 lines are usually dicks, so I'm not really sure if it will pester the Christmas wrasse and force it to burry itself in the sand, or fight. You always take that chance with 6 lines.

BlueTang<3
12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Phil I am ordering some Hawian wrasses from marine aquaria soon if you want a little less common one

reefgirl189
12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
What makes six lines aggressive? We have one and I think calling him aggressive would be a big stretch. Is it just fish aggression or just constant picking at things?

dada
12-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Frame wrasse is my favor...

windcoast reefs
12-15-2012, 06:59 PM
What makes six lines aggressive? We have one and I think calling him aggressive would be a big stretch. Is it just fish aggression or just constant picking at things?

From my experience both, I watch them pick at other fish in stores all the time, I've also witnessed a few kill other fish.
Really depends on each fish though.

Madreefer
12-15-2012, 07:01 PM

For a while there was posts every couple of weeks from different members asking how to catch the 6lines and get them out of their tanks due to aggresion. I know several people including myself that used to have them and no longer do cuz they ended up killing other fish. They're one of my favourite fish, really active and cool colors but they're evil. Always the same story, "but mine is so well behaved" few months later another post is up by same poster looking for a trap.

Leah
12-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Adding any fish at this point is iffy..it will probably get chased.

Phil
12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Ya it kind of surprised me everyone saying there so aggressive. I thought that it was the 8 lines that were bad. From researching on the net. But it does say there not compatible with some other wrasses. Once I get my new tank up and running ill be looking to add a new one and if I see any aggression at that point they'll get banished to the frag tank ( but I want a wrasse in there anyway to eat any bugs)