PDA

View Full Version : Any Moderately priced LED for marine water?

Dark_Omega
12-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Can anyone introduce me to some cheap LED lighting for marine water LED?

Mainly looking for cree lighting but bridgelux is okay too.

I saw quiet a few brands in store but they are all so expensive, I was hoping someone could give me some advice on some cheaper and good quality LED lights for marine water.

Appreciate any advice given.

Northernseacorals
12-15-2012, 01:53 AM
If you are okay with a little do it yourself ( DIY ) check out Martin @ http://modularled.ca

Good & budget friendly way to get into LED's

BlueTang<3
12-15-2012, 01:54 AM
What kind of tank are u looking to keep, fish only or crazy sps tank it will dictate what kind of lighting you will need

kien
12-15-2012, 02:16 AM
What is your definition of "cheap" ?? :-)

Aquattro
12-15-2012, 02:35 AM
What is your definition of "cheap" ?? :-)

Bingo! :razz:

Tom R
12-15-2012, 02:43 AM
The words cheaper and marine aquarium are not often used together in this hobby.

Tom R

mrhasan
12-15-2012, 03:25 AM
To some people (for instance, Kien :razz:), Mitras are cheap and to some, DIYs are cheap. So you will have to narrow that down :mrgreen:

Dark_Omega
12-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Sorry I was a bit vague but I saw in store was a bit pricey for the quality of lighting it provided. I am not the DIY kinda of guy so I am planning to just get a quality light. Say what kind of brand would you guys recommend? I saw Zetlight introduced earlier in this section but there are mixed reviews so I kinda want more opinions.

Thanks so much.

kien
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
...a bit pricey

How do you define "a bit pricey" ??

Northernseacorals
Sorry I was a bit vague but I saw in store was a bit pricey for the quality of lighting it provided. I am not the DIY kinda of guy so I am planning to just get a quality light. Say what kind of brand would you guys recommend? I saw Zetlight introduced earlier in this section but there are mixed reviews so I kinda want more opinions.

Thanks so much.

It will really depend on the inhabitants you wish you harbour in the aquarium, would you like softies, sps, clams, lps ect..

Pretty varied lighting requirements, however if you are planning on starting out with easy to maintain inhabitants, you can dim down most of the LED lights so as not to cook the corals you choose.

Northernseacorals
How do you define "a bit pricey" ??

:lol: seen that one coming from you haha

NorthernCoral
12-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Check out Kessil . They are moderatly priced and are of good quality. It really depends on what your lighting needs are though.

mseepman
12-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Take a look at reefsupplycanada.com Although I have a big DIY light that has yet to see water, I also just purchased their new IT series fixtures (I got the 2040) and I'm pretty impressed. This will be for a frag tank and I got the Bridgelux version rather than the Cree option just for savings. Nick is really good to deal with too.

Hope that helps.

Dark_Omega
12-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks mseepman, I appreciate the site. I also did some looking around and I came upon this retailer at another forum.

Link: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f126/10-off-all-pharos-led-pre-orders-237350.html

Now I did some comparing and saw that at reefsupply, there are some similar lights with Cree LED. However, the prices are bit higher than Pharos. I know that they offer a little more functions than Pharos but at the given price point of $440. I think I might jump on this deal. Looking at the youtube video and comparing to that of the other ones I saw at reefsupply, I think it looks promising. I know I still have some time to decide, since the sale last till Jan 12th. Let me know what you guys think.

The brands of LED I used for reference Ecotech LED Lighting & 24" Sun Brite F-Series LED Fixture.

Dark_Omega
12-21-2012, 01:52 AM
I also came across this site:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243958&highlight=pharos+led

It gave a pretty good reference of the Pharos LED lights. I am personally leaning towards this right now. Would love to hear more opinions on this or other great LED out there.

Thanks

oyf709
12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
You talking about this one?
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww66/oyf709/ekinpharos.jpg

Dark_Omega
12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
From the looks of the light, ya that is the Pharos LED light that I am talking about. That is an awesome picture you got right there. I was wondering what it would look like when they are put in parallel. The light is very evenly distributed.

Oyf, btw, what is the wattage on each of the fixture?

Thanks so much.

oyf709
12-23-2012, 07:14 PM
90w each and I suggested the owner of this tank to only get 2 but he like the brighter look so decide to get 3