PDA

View Full Version : bad weekend

danny zubot
05-03-2004, 02:32 PM
I bought this really cool purple sea slug a week ago and its been a hassle ever since. Every day I have had to fish this damn this out of my sump until finally on saturday I found it half sucked up into one of my pumps....dead! Oh well, I wonder if 950 Gph was too much for it to handle in my tank? I also bought a green clown goby on Saturday and put it in my tank....haven't seen it since! I know they can be secretive but I've looked everywhere, has anyone else noticed this type of problem with Gobies?

Some times I think I should just keep money in my aquarium!

Bob I
05-03-2004, 03:32 PM
I bought this really cool purple sea slug a week ago and its been a hassle ever since. Every day I have had to fish this damn this out of my sump until finally on saturday I found it half sucked up into one of my pumps....dead! Oh well, I wonder if 950 Gph was too much for it to handle in my tank? I also bought a green clown goby on Saturday and put it in my tank....haven't seen it since! I know they can be secretive but I've looked everywhere, has anyone else noticed this type of problem with Gobies?

Some times I think I should just keep money in my aquarium!

I had one of those green ones in a nano once, and it just disappeared. Right now I have a yellow one in my 50 with a Six Line wrasse, and a small Mandarin. It is fine and likes Caulastrea to hang out in. :mrgreen:

Delphinus
05-03-2004, 03:34 PM
I assume you've checked the floor and stuff.

I wouldn't rule out that it's hiding though, so don't panic too hard. When I got my desjardini tang a few years ago, I couldn't see where he was hiding for the first couple of days. If a tang can hide out of sight in the rockwork then a goby surely can be invisible as well.

Sorry to hear about the nudibranch. One note of caution though: Sea slugs need to be a very carefully measured choice. A lot of them are inappropriate for captive life, some of them are inappropriate in reef tanks due their choice of diet, etc. Unfortunate, because they're very pretty. If you're interested in reading more about them you can try www.seaslugforum.net

danny zubot
05-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the tip on my late sea slug. As for my Goby, it was only a minor investment so even if it becames lunch for my anemone I won't be too heart broken. I just wish that I got to see it for more than 30 seconds before it disappeared! Good to know that its not just me that these thins happen to, if I see it I'll let everyone know!

Delphinus
05-03-2004, 03:57 PM
I've forgotten what kind of anemone you have?

danny zubot
05-03-2004, 04:45 PM
I actually have two. One is a purple condalactus which hosts a Clark's clown fish. The other is an unknown green anemone. It has moderately long tenticles that have bumps on them, a low and somewhat stiff profile and it hosts a spotted amemone shrimp. They are on opposite sides of my tank and seem to thrive as of late. I can't see my Clarke try to feed the goby to my C. anem. because he has never done it in the past. But if gobies sleep walk, my anemone would mercilesly injest the poor guy in a heart beat.

Do you have anemonies?

EmilyB
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I have a green clown goby that I can see for .5 seconds if I feed at the back of the tank.

He lives in a hole. When I grow up a bigger acro, I hope he will move in, as he is very cute. He checked out the catspaw when I got it, but it hosts an acro crab, so maybe that detered him from moving in.

danny zubot
05-03-2004, 07:38 PM
So I guess I shouldn't worry about ripping my tank aprt lookin for it. What does your goby like to eat, I always thought they were detrivours.

I should be getting a few pictures soon to post, my tanks is small but I think its becoming quite interesting.

EmilyB
05-03-2004, 10:43 PM
What does your goby like to eat, I always thought they were detrivours.

Mine eats pretty much anything.