PDA

View Full Version : Sand sifters

TNTCanada
05-03-2004, 06:08 AM
I just put in a new shallow sand bed, 3 days old. Just added all my stuff today.
When should I start adding sand sifting critters?

Will they starve if I add them to early?

Any thought on what to add?

I was thinking tiger tail cucumber and maybe some sand sifting snails. Any thoughts on what works best?

Any thoughts on how to get the sand bed up and running quicker?

Anyone have any sand sifting critters for sale on the island?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DOO-E
05-03-2004, 01:12 PM
I would go with a Sand Star they churn and sift the sand pretty good but cucumbers are the best. I would wait until your atnk has cycled or you have more fish in the aquarium.

Aquattro
05-03-2004, 02:21 PM
I would go with a Sand Star .

These actually eat all the critters that he is trying to add to te sand though, so maybe not the best choice!

DOO-E
05-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Not true. Sand Sifter Stars are only Detruis (i think thats how u spell it) eater. They wont eat crabs or snails. I havent had much experience with the cucmbers YET. I want to get one but they r pretty hard to keep i hear. Most people have great success so who knows. But the Sand Sifter Satr WILL NOT eat carbs or snails. I had one in my first reef tank.

Aquattro
05-04-2004, 02:36 PM
No kidding!! I meant they eat pods and other micro fauna in the sand bed, not hermits and snails :lol:
Cucumbers are fairly easy to keep, they just like a long acclimation period when introducing them to the tank. And they make much better sand stirrers than stars.

kuatto
05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Is there anyone you can get a cup or two of sand from who's tank has been running for awhile to seed your sand bed?

Jim

chwkreefer
05-04-2004, 04:29 PM
But the Sand Sifter Satr WILL NOT eat carbs k.

Sand Stars on Atkins diet, who knew??

Bob I
05-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Not true. Sand Sifter Stars are only Detruis (i think thats how u spell it) eater.

It is actually detritus, but that is not important. The important thing is that the statement is completely untrue. Whoever told you that is full of detritus. :rolleyes:

Quinn
05-04-2004, 09:34 PM
There are probably numerous species of star being sold as "sand sifters". :rolleyes: