PDA

View Full Version : Need help with BRS 2-part

Reefgoat
12-13-2012, 10:39 PM
I recently realized my Alkalinity and Calcium are far too low so I bought a pre-portioned 2 part Calcium & Alkalinity package. In it there are 3 sets of packages for making 1 gallon each of Calcium and Alkalinity along with a package of Magnesium that says it makes 20 ounces and a large additional bag of Magnesium that says it makes 1 gallon. There is no container for the 20oz packs, only for the 1 gallon bag of Magnesium.

From what I understand I add the Calcium and Alkalinity in equal parts until both one gallon jugs are used up then add all the 20oz magnesium package at once. The instruction don't even mention the giant bag of magnesium that says it makes 1 gallon. Even adding the whole 20oz of magnesium in the package all at once seems like a terrible idea. Would someone please clarify the proper way to use the two separate packages of Magnesium.

This is for a 40g mixed reef. I read and re-read the instructions and watched the video BRS has online but they didn't answer my questions.

duncangweller
12-13-2012, 11:52 PM
I watched those videos on here ( http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-total-package-bulk.html ) and it says what to do with all parts of the kit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

carnut
12-14-2012, 12:48 AM
20 oz of mag seems high in a 40 gallon tank. you only want to add enough that you don't raise your mag count more than 50 per day. IE from 1000 to 1050.

Go on the brs website, use the reefcalculator at the top of the page, it will tell you what they think you should does of their product.

to raise your mag 50 you need to does 5.4 oz

Reefgoat
12-14-2012, 01:50 AM
I watched those videos on here ( http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-total-package-bulk.html ) and it says what to do with all parts of the kit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have watched that video at least 5 times and it says nothing about why I have 3 small packs of magnesium along with another huge bag of magnesium. It seems to be just a general description of how Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium interact. That video is for the bulk chemicals not the pre-portioned package. There is no video for the pre-portioned package.

I guess I will assume most peoples tanks are horribly deficient in Magnesium otherwise the huge additional bag makes no sense.

daplatapus
12-14-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm assuming the packages don't have labels on them? I buy the bulk stuff and you have to mix the Mag sulfate and the mag chloride together at 3/5 ratio.

Reefgoat
12-14-2012, 02:06 AM
According to the Reef Calculator I need to add 5 times as much Calcium as Alkalinity. Do I ignore the 1:1 ratio until I get everything to the proper levels? It seems that is the case but I have no experience dosing and don't want to crash my tank. Should I simply add each chemical independently, adding no more than their maximum recommended daily dose until I reach the recommended levels, and then switch to 1:1 dosing?

I think I will add Magnesium according to my test results rather than add the whole pack as they instruct.

Reefgoat
12-14-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm assuming the packages don't have labels on them? I buy the bulk stuff and you have to mix the Mag sulfate and the mag chloride together at 3/5 ratio.
The packages I have already have the two types of Magnesium mixed. The fact that there are small pre-measured packs in addition to a huge bag of bulk magnesium is what was throwing me off. I think buying bulk chemicals would have been less confusing but I think I may have it figured out now.

daplatapus
12-14-2012, 02:11 AM
ya, I don't see how they could even give you a perfectly portioned pre-pack.