PDA

View Full Version : My filtration is not working - needs to be replaced fast, what do you reccomend?

mandyplo
12-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Just purchased the dual Carbon & GFO reactor from BRS and it is simply not working - They have tried trouble shooting with me online and we cannot determine the problem, they are sending a replacement part but I have doubts it will help. (Not working as in no flow coming out of product line - it is dripping painfully slow and my GFO will not tumble, it sits as a solid brick on the bottom).

In the mean time, (and probably to keep as my permanent filtration) I am looking to purchase a new filtration unit. What do you guys recommend? I have been looking at the Fluval G3 unit and really like the sounds of it - just not so sure I'm ready to drop $300 on it. However fellow reefer experiences and reviews/recommendations tend to persuade me otherwise...

Any other recommendations? What about Bio Pellets? Can a bio pellet reactor replace a Carbon & GFO filtration system?

Thanks guys I have to put something in there fast I just purchased some clams that I'm really afraid of losing! :(

Edit: My tank is 55g with a very small bioload - 5 small fish, 2 clams and 2 corals

kien
12-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Just purchased the dual Carbon & GFO reactor from BRS and it is simply not working - They have tried trouble shooting with me online and we cannot determine the problem, they are sending a replacement part but I have doubts it will help. (Not working as in no flow coming out of product line - it is dripping painfully slow and my GFO will not tumble, it sits as a solid brick on the bottom).

In the mean time, (and probably to keep as my permanent filtration) I am looking to purchase a new filtration unit. What do you guys recommend? I have been looking at the Fluval G3 unit and really like the sounds of it - just not so sure I'm ready to drop $300 on it. However fellow reefer experiences and reviews/recommendations tend to persuade me otherwise...

Any other recommendations? What about Bio Pellets? Can a bio pellet reactor replace a Carbon & GFO filtration system?

Thanks guys I have to put something in there fast I just purchased some clams that I'm really afraid of losing! :(

Edit: My tank is 55g with a very small bioload - 5 small fish, 2 clams and 2 corals

Are you just starting up the biopellets now or have you been running them for a while? If you are just starting them up then they will not filter your tank quickly. It can take weeks for the pellets to seed and do there thing. So just plopping new biopellets in today or tomorrow or even this weekend won't "filter/clean" your tank immediately. You can put the biopellets in a different reactor like a TLF 150 or some other media reactor that you might be able to find at your LFS.

If your phosphates are high you can throw some GFO in a filter bag and let it sit in your sump. You will have to aggitate the bag often though. This isn't the ideal approach but will work in a pinch if you're desperate and having phosphate issues. Ideally they should be fluidized in a reactor though.

Bio pellets are marketed with the ability to strip your tank of Nitrates and Phosphates so in theory you don't need to run GFO. However, that has not been my experience with them. I have to run GFO and biopellets together in order to eliminate phosphates in my tank. I know of people who are successfully using biopellets to strip phosphates and nitrates from their tanks though.

Biopellets are not a replacement for carbon. They are both used for two different purposes. Again, in a pinch you can always put carbon in a bag and dunk it in your sump if you don't have a fluidized reactor on hand.

reefwars
12-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Just gonna throw it out there but clams do fine with high nutrients, polishing your water is more of a benefit to corals as clams filter nutrients.

There's not a whole lot of science to reactors basically water in, through media and out again.....the rest is just novelty;)

FishyFishy!
12-13-2012, 04:52 PM
What pump are you using to feed the BRS reactors?

Do you have any other form of filtration on the tank right now?

How long has the tank been running?

What are you looking to get out of this filtration? Mechanical? Nutrient Export? Biological filtration?

More info = better help.

Edit: Is the only thing you have running for filtration at the moment just live rock? And skimmer?

FishyFishy!
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
On the canister filter side of things, I am actually a fan of them if you clean and maintain them regularily. I have a 40g right now with a new Fluval 406 on it, and it's been awesome. I took out all of their filter material, and replaced 3 trays with Live Rock Rubble, and the other tray with mechanical filter pad and carbon. Works well. Maybe something to look in to instead of the G3.

I like the ease of cleaning them too. Just shut it off, disconnect, and take to your sink to clean out. I always do a water change at the same time, so that I have a 5 gallon pail of salt water to rinse everything in. This way your not destroying bacteria with a freshwater rinse.

whatcaneyedo
12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
You seem to be a bit confused about types of filtration so here is a rough breakdown of the few that you've listed. Canister filters, protein skimmers, fluidized media reactors, and solid organic carbon dosing are all used for different types of filtration. Canister filters physically trap and hold aquarium waste but do not remove it until you clean them out. The trouble with them is that many people do not clean them out frequently enough allowing the trapped waste to break down into nitrate. Protein skimmers remove waste from the water column before it has a chance to break down into nitrate. Fluidized media reactors are an efficient way to run Carbon, GFO or Pellets. Carbon removes yellowing compounds from the water making your tank look cleaner, allowing light to penetrate better. It also removes chemicals that your coral might release into the water to attack other coral within your system. GFO removes phosphate and silicate. Solid organic carbon dosing (biopellets) must be used in conjunction with a powerful skimmer (relative to your system volume). The pellets are biodegradable plastic that bacteria colonize and break down. The bacteria consumes roughly 4 times more nitrate than phosphate while doing this which is why some people still need to use GFO in addition to them and why they simply don't work for others.

mandyplo
12-13-2012, 08:31 PM
What pump are you using to feed the BRS reactors?

Do you have any other form of filtration on the tank right now?

How long has the tank been running?

What are you looking to get out of this filtration? Mechanical? Nutrient Export? Biological filtration?

More info = better help.

Edit: Is the only thing you have running for filtration at the moment just live rock? And skimmer?

Hi - I have a protein skimmer rated for a 200gallon tank, my tank is 55g. The tank has been running since January 2011 but we recently did a tank move from my bfs to my house and the water quality has really only been tip top for about 1.5-2 months (bf let the tank go to sh** at his house, this is why I took ownership).
What am I looking to get out of the filtration? Well I have a skimmer and live rock, that's it (I have a sump now too that I plan to put some chaeto in). So I would like my water to be more crisp, less cloudy (not that its super cloudy but it could definitely be more clear/crisp). I think there are a lot of suspended bubbles that are making it look cloudy, and I'm not sure why there are so many tiny bubbles...(they keep coming out of my return jet in spurts) I also do NOT have high nitrates or nitrites or ammonia...

If theres anything else you'd like to know please ask! :)

mandyplo
12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Are you just starting up the biopellets now or have you been running them for a while? If you are just starting them up then they will not filter your tank quickly. It can take weeks for the pellets to seed and do there thing. So just plopping new biopellets in today or tomorrow or even this weekend won't "filter/clean" your tank immediately. You can put the biopellets in a different reactor like a TLF 150 or some other media reactor that you might be able to find at your LFS.

If your phosphates are high you can throw some GFO in a filter bag and let it sit in your sump. You will have to aggitate the bag often though. This isn't the ideal approach but will work in a pinch if you're desperate and having phosphate issues. Ideally they should be fluidized in a reactor though.

Bio pellets are marketed with the ability to strip your tank of Nitrates and Phosphates so in theory you don't need to run GFO. However, that has not been my experience with them. I have to run GFO and biopellets together in order to eliminate phosphates in my tank. I know of people who are successfully using biopellets to strip phosphates and nitrates from their tanks though.

Biopellets are not a replacement for carbon. They are both used for two different purposes. Again, in a pinch you can always put carbon in a bag and dunk it in your sump if you don't have a fluidized reactor on hand.

Hi Kien! I actually do not have biopellets or a biopellet reactor - I have the BRS dual Carbon and GFO reactor that is not running properly. I have the cobalt maxi jet pump that BRS sells with the dual reactor as a whole unit. They think there is a faulty canister and are sending me a new one to see if that solves the problem - the water is simply not moving through the unit.

So if I could put filter socks in my sump let me ask you this: Instead, I have a tetra filter (this one to be exact http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperpower2.html)
And I have the bulk containers of GFO & Carbon. Could I take the gfo and carbon and stuff some in a pair of pantyhose, one "sock" for carbon and one "sock" for GFO and stick them in either side of this tetra filter and turn it on until I can buy a proper filtration system? This way water is running through the bags rather than them just floatin around in the sump... If you think it makes no difference can I still stick the carbon and GFO in pantyhose and stick them in my sump? Or do I have to go out and actually buy little filter socks? Can you tell I'm new at this?!

mandyplo
12-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Just gonna throw it out there but clams do fine with high nutrients, polishing your water is more of a benefit to corals as clams filter nutrients.

There's not a whole lot of science to reactors basically water in, through media and out again.....the rest is just novelty;)

This is true... if only the water would go THROUGH my reactor :(

FishyFishy!
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Ok, so you have a sump. That is good! Forget a canister filter at all. The sump is your glorified canister filter. Is there anything like live rock in your sump?

Now, does your sump have baffles? Are you using anything for mechanical filtration like filter pads or filter socks? Baffles and mechanical filtration will really aid in the removal of floating particles and air bubbles. Your skimmer outlet could be producing bubbles as well, so a good set of bubble trap-baffles before your return section will get rid of most bubbles. You could also have a small air leak in your return plumbing.

Hopefully the new reactor they send you will work. They are beneficial for sure. The carbon should clear up your water, and the GFO should get those phosphates down.

If you want to run carbon and GFO for now, you can put them in some media bags, and run them through a hang on filter, that would work just fine for now.

FishyFishy!
12-13-2012, 09:04 PM
If you think it makes no difference can I still stick the carbon and GFO in pantyhose and stick them in my sump? Or do I have to go out and actually buy little filter socks? Can you tell I'm new at this?!

lol, yes you could use pantyhose, but i think that it would clog up with crap really quick and become useless. But simple media bags are very cheap. Usually like $1.99 each at your local pet shop. Just put some carbon and GFO in them and stick it in the HOB filter until your new reactor arrives.

kien
12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi Kien! I actually do not have biopellets or a biopellet reactor - I have the BRS dual Carbon and GFO reactor that is not running properly. I have the cobalt maxi jet pump that BRS sells with the dual reactor as a whole unit. They think there is a faulty canister and are sending me a new one to see if that solves the problem - the water is simply not moving through the unit.

So if I could put filter socks in my sump let me ask you this: Instead, I have a tetra filter (this one to be exact http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperpower2.html)
And I have the bulk containers of GFO & Carbon. Could I take the gfo and carbon and stuff some in a pair of pantyhose, one "sock" for carbon and one "sock" for GFO and stick them in either side of this tetra filter and turn it on until I can buy a proper filtration system? This way water is running through the bags rather than them just floatin around in the sump... If you think it makes no difference can I still stick the carbon and GFO in pantyhose and stick them in my sump? Or do I have to go out and actually buy little filter socks? Can you tell I'm new at this?!

If you do not currently have high nitrates then you may already have adequate filtration (in the form of water changes, skimmering, and live rock) for the bioload that you have. You didn't mention where your phosphates were at. As fishyfishy said, pantyhose will work in pinch, but is not ideal. I would definitely recommend buying media bags. Note I said media bags and not filter socks. I consider them two different things. People typically place filter socks onto the ends of their return lines in the sump for mechanical (debris) filtration. Do not place GFO or carbon in filter socks.

Filter Socks:

http://www.nsaquatics.com/FAQ/FilterSock/FilterSock.jpg

Media bags:

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20071227162000/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-22538-30423-media-bag.jpg

Microbubbles in your display tank could be due to your skimmer. Do you have bubble trap baffles in your skimmer?

Perhaps post a picture of your sump so that we can see what you've go going on down there.

Do you have an auto top off? Your return section running too low can also cause bubbles to shoot into your display tank. If you do have an ATO and the ATO hose is too close to the return pump this can cause bubbles getting into the return line as well.

ChizerBunoi
12-13-2012, 09:58 PM
You can put the GFO or Carbon in seperate media bags and then have it sit in the sock though.

mandyplo
12-13-2012, 10:42 PM
If you do not currently have high nitrates then you may already have adequate filtration (in the form of water changes, skimmering, and live rock) for the bioload that you have. You didn't mention where your phosphates were at. As fishyfishy said, pantyhose will work in pinch, but is not ideal. I would definitely recommend buying media bags. Note I said media bags and not filter socks. I consider them two different things. People typically place filter socks onto the ends of their return lines in the sump for mechanical (debris) filtration. Do not place GFO or carbon in filter socks.

Microbubbles in your display tank could be due to your skimmer. Do you have bubble trap baffles in your skimmer?

Perhaps post a picture of your sump so that we can see what you've go going on down there.

Do you have an auto top off? Your return section running too low can also cause bubbles to shoot into your display tank. If you do have an ATO and the ATO hose is too close to the return pump this can cause bubbles getting into the return line as well.

First off thanks so much guys for your fast responses it means a lot!

I do not have an ATO but I do top off the sump daily it evaporates FAST in there but I never let it get lower than an inch in evaporation in the last section of the sump - I am topping off with my reservoir bin of RO/DI water

I'll have to stop in at a pet store tomorrow after work and grab some media bags for the hang on the back filter for now.. funny I work a part time job (full time university student) at a pet store. We have NOTHING for fish tanks its very sad </3 :(

I have to be honest I'm not so sure what baffles are I know they are to reduce bubbles and suspended particles but I do not know what they are made of? My skimmer has sponges around the intake... Oh and sorry about the phosphates I still don't have a test for them I will pick that up also at the pet store when I get the media bags

Here is my sump it is not this green in person - the flash of my iphone makes it look awful

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad61/mandyplo/tanksump1.jpg

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad61/mandyplo/tanksump2.jpg

mandyplo
12-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Ok, so you have a sump. That is good! Forget a canister filter at all. The sump is your glorified canister filter. Is there anything like live rock in your sump?

Now, does your sump have baffles? Are you using anything for mechanical filtration like filter pads or filter socks? Baffles and mechanical filtration will really aid in the removal of floating particles and air bubbles. Your skimmer outlet could be producing bubbles as well, so a good set of bubble trap-baffles before your return section will get rid of most bubbles. You could also have a small air leak in your return plumbing.

Hopefully the new reactor they send you will work. They are beneficial for sure. The carbon should clear up your water, and the GFO should get those phosphates down.

If you want to run carbon and GFO for now, you can put them in some media bags, and run them through a hang on filter, that would work just fine for now.

Hi fishyfishy - no baffles, no live rock in the sump, no miracle mud, nothing yet I just set it up a week and a half ago (its my first attempt at a sump ever I've never had one and I built this one myself) No filter pads, no filter socks.

And thanks!! I am going to stick them in my filter tomorrow when I grab some media bags

kien
12-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Hi fishyfishy - no baffles, no live rock in the sump, no miracle mud, nothing yet I just set it up a week and a half ago (its my first attempt at a sump ever I've never had one and I built this one myself) No filter pads, no filter socks.

And thanks!! I am going to stick them in my filter tomorrow when I grab some media bags

A baffle is simply a wall in your sump that separates sections or directs water flow in a certain path. You appear to have 2 baffles that make 3 compartments in your sump. Baffles can be as simple as a single wall/divider or a series of walls that direct water flow. Some people build what are called bubble traps by employing two or more baffles.

whatcaneyedo
12-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi - I have a protein skimmer rated for a 200gallon tank, my tank is 55g.

The manufacturer of your skimmer grossly overrates their handling capabilities.

Why is there a sponge on the intake of the maxijet pump? Is there some reason you chose it over the plastic screen?

mandyplo
12-14-2012, 01:09 AM
The manufacturer of your skimmer grossly overrates their handling capabilities.

Why is there a sponge on the intake of the maxijet pump? Is there some reason you chose it over the plastic screen?

It was part of the troubleshooting that the guys at BRS had me do - they thought I might have gunk going into the pump and clogging it causing the 0 flow output of the dual BRS reactor... but I tested the pump in my sink and well... it shot water at my ceiling and everywhere else so I know it works..

daplatapus
12-14-2012, 02:09 AM
This may a stupid question, but have you tried pulling the cartridge out of the housing and tried running the unit to see if water flows then?
Are you sure the cartridge is upright and not upside down?

Sorry, but sometimes the easiest things are overlooked.

mandyplo
12-14-2012, 02:47 AM
This may a stupid question, but have you tried pulling the cartridge out of the housing and tried running the unit to see if water flows then?
Are you sure the cartridge is upright and not upside down?

Sorry, but sometimes the easiest things are overlooked.

Haha its ok, we have tried all of these things - the unit runs great with no canisters in it, and it also runs great with only the GFO canister. As soon as the carbon canister is placed in, the flow completely stops, and the canister is forsure right side up - theres a strainer on the bottom and the washer & threads on the top.

mandyplo
12-14-2012, 02:49 AM
A baffle is simply a wall in your sump that separates sections or directs water flow in a certain path. You appear to have 2 baffles that make 3 compartments in your sump. Baffles can be as simple as a single wall/divider or a series of walls that direct water flow. Some people build what are called bubble traps by employing two or more baffles.

ok - so if I have 2 already how can I further reduce the bubbles ? Near the end of the night tonight before the lights went off the water was getting pretty cloudy :(

kien
12-14-2012, 04:23 AM
ok - so if I have 2 already how can I further reduce the bubbles ? Near the end of the night tonight before the lights went off the water was getting pretty cloudy :(

I'm not 100% certain I know what you mean by cloudy. To me cloudy and bubbly are two different things :-) Maybe a picture of the cloudy tank?

If you want to build bubble traps into your sump you will have to drain it and add additional baffles between your skimmer section and return section.

Here is an example of a bubble trap.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L37iXeurD4c/TEtaNnyQPxI/AAAAAAAAACs/F0oLGacJAK4/s400/Bubble+Trap.jpg

Bubbles will always tend to float to the surface, so in this picture, as the water flows over the first baffle, bubbles from your skimmer will mostly stay afloat as water travels down and under the second baffle. As water is forced to flow back up and over the third baffle so are any bubbles that may have made it through to this point.

And here is an actual application of the bubble trap.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/bubble-trap-demo_zps1b5032e5.jpg

mandyplo
12-14-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm not 100% certain I know what you mean by cloudy. To me cloudy and bubbly are two different things :-) Maybe a picture of the cloudy tank?

If you want to build bubble traps into your sump you will have to drain it and add additional baffles between your skimmer section and return section.

Here is an example of a bubble trap.

Bubbles will always tend to float to the surface, so in this picture, as the water flows over the first baffle, bubbles from your skimmer will mostly stay afloat as water travels down and under the second baffle. As water is forced to flow back up and over the third baffle so are any bubbles that may have made it through to this point.

And here is an actual application of the bubble trap.

I love you guys you're always such good help :love:

Those pictures made baffles 100% clear to me :) I Will definitely be adding that third wall in, forcing the water to pass under it rather than just over.

I will try and take a pic but the water is definitely cloudy with bubbles - there are tiny tiny bubbles EVERYWHERE ARGGHHH and it seems to be getting worse :(

My clams and corals all still look okay except for the frogspawn he looks kinda ****ed. My 2 acan frags are loving my tank, I put them in yesterday and when they arrived they were totally flat and closed up, by the end of the day in my tank they were SUPER super fat (and still are today) and their feeding tentacles came out when the lights went off! :) These are my first acans ever I'm very excited about them. The mushrooms (ricordea & yuma) Are doing well - Ricordea is totally open and fat, the yuma keeps un-attaching from the rock I glue it to and floats around in my current :( I cannot get it to stick to anything! I've tried plugs, live rock, rock rubble, and my dry eco rock... I've tried glueing and letting it dry for a few minutes out of water and I've tried in the water and I tried my accelerator, I have given up! The yuma is determined to find its own place to attach in my tank and I'm going to just have to allow it do to so.

mandyplo
12-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Here is my cloudy tank

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad61/mandyplo/acan4_zps26185ff5.jpg

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad61/mandyplo/acan3_zpsd7635c2a.jpg

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad61/mandyplo/acan2_zps31e62441.jpg

And here is my neon dottyback being the nosy inquisitive fish that he is while I'm trying to take a pic of my fat acan with half a purple head :)

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad61/mandyplo/acan1_zps502c3f88.jpg