PDA

View Full Version : Tank Setup Help Zeo or?

yycguy
12-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Help needed
Finally have my new tank coming, RedSea S 500(liter)
I want to do this right so looking for advise.
I was initially planning on a Zeovit system but have since started to think there may be another method like Bio Pellets and say a Phosphate Reactor system.
The Zeovit System seems really provin, just seems like maybe a lot of care and since we do leave the tank from time to time (neighbor looks after our present tank while we are away) it may not be the best system for me.
So what would you do? Don't mind spending what ever money it takes.
I have been looking at the Vertex RX-U reactor and then for phosphate not to sure?
Any help and suggestions would really help.
Joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquattro
12-13-2012, 02:34 AM
While the Zeo can be a lot of tinkering, if you miss dosing and shaking, nothing bad happens. I often forget for a month or more :)

Almost all systems tho, will achieve similar results. Pick your poison and go with it :)

ChizerBunoi
12-13-2012, 03:53 AM
I found this to be a hard decision too.

If you look at Krzysztof Tryc tank, he went from zeovit to bio pellets with no problems. But then again, he started with zeovit and achieved those awesome colors. Then the corals matured even more so it's hard to say.

Personally, I'm going to go with zeovit to learn as much as I can (in terms of how to tinker for awesome colors) and then we'll see what happens in the future. The Zeolites and ZeoStart3 are the carbon source, which is very similar to the bio pellets. You could do a hybrid and dose the full zeovit line without those two items. That way you don't have to bother shaking the zeolites on a daily basis.

yycguy
12-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
I thought I had it all figured out go Zeovit then started to get talked into the other direction.
I think the Zeovit way is pretty well laid out, there step by step instructions are pretty good, lead you right by the hand.

I guess I like the idea of a step by step guide and since this is a new startup the idea seems pretty simple.

Now bio pellets are new to me as are Reactors so this is all new and I guess that's why I am undecided.

I

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 04:09 AM
I've just started using Zeovit bout two weeks ago.too early to see any good/bad changes in my system,so i'll wait and see.

yycguy
12-13-2012, 04:22 AM
I've just started using Zeovit bout two weeks ago.too early to see any good/bad changes in my system,so i'll wait and see.

Well I know it's early but so far how is it going? What Reactor did you go with?

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Well,so far what i can tell you is that the water clarity is so much better than it was before(not that my water was dirty to begin with)corals are responding well except three,lighting issue.im using TLF reactor for the Zeolites,no sump btw,so had to go that route.so far,so good:mrgreen:

kien
12-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Well,so far what i can tell you is that the water clarity is so much better than it was before(not that my water was dirty to begin with)corals are responding well except three,lighting issue.im using TLF reactor for the Zeolites,no sump btw,so had to go that route.so far,so good:mrgreen:

Interesting. How do you shake the rocks in a TLF reactor? Or did you mod it?

subman
12-13-2012, 04:50 AM
Interesting. How do you shake the rocks in a TLF reactor? Or did you mod it?

Like a martini!:mrgreen:

kien
12-13-2012, 04:51 AM
Like a martini!:mrgreen:

Well played! :lol:

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Like a martini!:mrgreen: :biggrin: it was a fellow Canadian reefer on zeovit who suggested that.i just had to buy a big maxi-jet pump and that is it.

kien
12-13-2012, 04:56 AM
:biggrin: it was a fellow Canadian reefer on zeovit who suggested that.i just had to buy a big maxi-jet pump and that is it.

So you don't shake the rocks? Just fluidized them? I don't know if I've ever seen them used like that before. Cool.

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Kien,in a fluidized manner,yes.odd enough,it does work.as the old adage go-there is more than one way to skin a cat:mrgreen:

subman
12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Back to the original poster I would look into the prodibio system, as the rsm sump isn't a huge one and adding the zeo reactor will take up some valuable real estate. I'd prefer to run a gfo reactor and the prodibio system on your setup.

ChizerBunoi
12-13-2012, 03:03 PM
So you don't shake the rocks? Just fluidized them? I don't know if I've ever seen them used like that before. Cool.

You could pick up the entire unit and give it a good shake, would pretty accomplish the same thing. You need to shake it to keep the rocks clean.

yycguy
12-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Back to the original poster I would look into the prodibio system, as the rsm sump isn't a huge one and adding the zeo reactor will take up some valuable real estate. I'd prefer to run a gfo reactor and the prodibio system on your setup.

Hey thx ..... I have never heard of prodibio ..... I will look into this as well. Yes you are right about the sump it's rather small.

bades
12-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Joel,....
I think that I can help you out. First, when the new tank arrives, you can set it up at my place, that way you won't have to worry when you're out of town :wink:
And secondly, I also have been using Prodibio, (more so before the reno) and was happy with the results. Just getting back into it now, since most of the commotion is almost over.

Emm

P.S. How's your place coming along,....almost done?

yycguy
12-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Joel,....
I think that I can help you out. First, when the new tank arrives, you can set it up at my place, that way you won't have to worry when you're out of town :wink:
And secondly, I also have been using Prodibio, (more so before the reno) and was happy with the results. Just getting back into it now, since most of the commotion is almost over.

Emm

P.S. How's your place coming along,....almost done?

Hey Emm I think that's a great idea! Then if it springs a leak it's not on my new Hardwood.......
House is pretty well done how about yours?
I'll call you next week about the Prodibio...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

asylumdown
12-15-2012, 07:23 PM
I couldn't be happier with the biopellets in my system. BP and GFO (I'm actually using PO4X4). I bought a life-reef re-circulating biopellet reactor, and the most I ever have to interact with it is to use a toothbrush to clean off the re-circulating strainer once every couple of weeks to keep the flow rate through the reactor where I want it. The phos material is in a vertex reactor.

I also looked very seriously in to the Zeo method - I even have 3 bags of unused zeo stones sitting in my garage. But I'm out of town almost as much as I'm in town so I had to go with something that wasn't so high maintenance.