PDA

View Full Version : radiums on HQI...

smokinreefer
05-03-2004, 12:15 AM
whose got em?
are you happy with them?
intense/bright enough?
is it really that blue? run on HQIs they should be whiter right?
in your experience, what kinda bulb life are you getting out of them?

thanks.

StirCrazy
05-03-2004, 12:38 AM
whose got em?
are you happy with them?
intense/bright enough?
is it really that blue? run on HQIs they should be whiter right?
in your experience, what kinda bulb life are you getting out of them?

thanks.

I tested one a couple years ago on my HQi and I was impresses with there output. I didn't care much for the blue color but they had a high PAR output.

Steve

Aquattro
05-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Shao, I switch between the Radiums and Ushios on my Son Agro ballasts. I do prefer the radiums though, just not as intense as the 10k. Once my tank has grown back in a bit, I'll put the radiums back on. In my opinion, the color rocks!

smokinreefer
05-03-2004, 05:14 AM
but ive read 10ks still need actinics to get a white/bluish color.

Jack
05-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Hey Shao

I've run the 400w Radiums on the Son Agro HQI ballasts aswell. The colour is pretty nice... it sure makes some corals stand out. They were a fun lighting system to try out but I prefer a bit more intense/whiter light.

It's really hard to explain the colour of a bulb without actually seeing it on your tank.

There has been discussions about the Radiums loosing lots of intensity while on the HQI ballasts. I think optimum bulb life was estimated at around 6-8 months. I only ran them for about two months but I, without measuring PAR, noticed no intensity loss.

Most 400w 10k tanks, or any spectrum for that matter, look better with some sort of actinic lighting system. Although 400w Ushio are much whiter than Sun Aquatic bulbs hands down, IMO.

I think any 20k bulb should be run on HQI... they don't look as good on regular ballasts.

Like with any lighting choice it's a toss up untill you actually try it out, or see it in person.

Playing with different lighting combonations gets expensive!! :lol:

StirCrazy
05-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Hey Shao

I've run the 400w Radiums on the Son Agro HQI ballasts as well. The colour is pretty nice... it sure makes some corals stand out.

ok quite saying HQI with 400 watt bulbs, there is no such thing. the son agro is not a HQI ballast and there is no 400 watt HQI ballast.

and yes unlike the 250 watt HQI ballast the 400 watt son agro will decrease bulb life to some extent.

Steve

Aquattro
05-03-2004, 02:18 PM
I think we'll just keep calling them HQI, since that is what they retail as.

Jack, I have a radium running on a regualr 400w ballast on the 40g, and it looks really nice. More white than blue for sure. Not sure what PAR it puts out, bt the color is nice.

smokinreefer
05-03-2004, 04:19 PM
hey brad,
are you saying that in your experience the 400W radium burns whiter on a regular ballast than the HQI :lol: err...i mean the son agro?

is that a regular tar ballast youre using? or an electronic?

Aquattro
05-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Shao, this particular one is very white. It's a philips or panasonic ballast. Not as bright, but I prefer the color on th eSA HQI ballasts anyway. If you haven't seen the color, you need to before deciding. Isn't Mason running those?

Jack
05-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Ok, Steve. I appreciate the usless knowledge. I know they are 430w ballasts so they do "overdrive" the bulb a bit, and somehow that's percieved as HQI. Doesn't PFO use the Son Agro ballasts inside their "HQI" casing? or was that another company?

Anyways, eposer just posted some sweet video's of his reef tank that is forsale. He runs the 20ks on the HQI ( :razz: ) and you can see the colour.

chwkreefer
05-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey Shao,
I've been using radiums on SA ballasts since last August. Love the color, hate the intensity. As Brad mentioned, it would be best if you could see the lighting for yourself before you make the choice.

Bill