PDA

View Full Version : Sps turning brown

NIVLEM09
12-12-2012, 10:02 PM
I was just wondering the causes for sps corals to turn brown?inadequate lighting,high phosphate/nitrate?just curious,as two of mine are losing their bright colors and turning brown:cry:

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 10:23 PM
All of the above and then some. Wrong light, nutrients too high, they're just in a mood, all can contribute.
My current frag tank is 0ppm on NO3 and PO4, 400w MH and still pieces are turning brown. Often it's just time needed for the tank to become mature, which is not a measurable parameter

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks Brad for thee feedback.i've had my corals since 10/6/12 and i think bout 2 weeks ago they started browning.water parameters are good,no NO3/PO4,cal 480,DKH 8,Mag 1350,salinity 1.026,temp 79.tho,lighting is questionable.i only have two 12k/445nm blue,one 445nm blue Ecoxotic panorama modules and each are only 19 watts.but according to Ecoxotic that should be enough to "sustain" SPS and clams,not sure bout that now:neutral:

Aquattro
12-13-2012, 01:18 AM
I'd say that the light probably is not enough to keep the colors. Sustain, maybe. Thrive, different story. BTW, your Ca doesn't need to be that high :)

mrhasan
12-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Welcome to the world of brownapora (named by Kien) :D

Ecoxotics are mostly supplemental lights. The possibly can sustain upto montis but atleast not acros. They have big ego. Just like Brad said, they have "mood".

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 01:51 AM
I have to agree with you,it's bit on the high side:mrgreen: regarding my leds,i've always have doubt that they wouldnt not be enough for my corals to thrive.just needed a fellow reefer to point that out,i guess:biggrin: what are your thoughts regarding the AI Vega and the Radion Gen2/pro? im spending my x-mas bonus wisely and purchase either one of the three,just unsure atm which one.

mrhasan
12-13-2012, 01:54 AM
I have to agree with you,it's bit on the high side:mrgreen: regarding my leds,i've always have doubt that they wouldnt not be enough for my corals to thrive.just needed a fellow reefer to point that out,i guess:biggrin: what are your thoughts regarding the AI Vega and the Radion Gen2/pro? im spending my x-mas bonus wisely and purchase either one of the three,just unsure atm which one.

You should open up a thread for that. There are people who swear by AIs and other swear by Radions. And The new craze is Mitras. I am no expert and that's all I know :P A new thread should fetch some good debate.

WARNING: Get ready to be confused because the world of LEDs are all dark, controversial, technical and expensive!

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 01:55 AM
yes,i found that out with Ecoxotic the hard way.thanks for the welcome...i'm finally a member.Welcome to the world of brownapora (named by Kien) :D

Ecoxotics are mostly supplemental lights. The possibly can sustain upto montis but atleast not acros. They have big ego. Just like Brad said, they have "mood".

Madreefer
12-13-2012, 01:58 AM
You should open up a thread for that. There are people who swear by AIs and other swear by Radions.

Or better yet use the search thread. It's an old topic and probably no need to start another thread.

NIVLEM09
12-13-2012, 02:00 AM
I've heard good reviews for the mitra but unfortunately i have a wife who loves to yell at me about my spending habits and very expensive hobby.she doesn't nkow i'm planning to buy a new led fixture:twised:

Aquattro
12-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Or better yet use the search thread. It's an old topic and probably no need to start another thread.

Absolutely! Probably a couple of threads, I bet :)

NIVLEM09
12-17-2012, 08:30 PM
UPDATE!!!i've recently contacted Ecoxotic via Twitter and expressed my concerns pertaining my panorama modules lacking intesity to "sustain" sps corals.i've exchanged e-mails with Ike(i think he's the big boss)explained to him what was happening with my corals and included a picture to show him my affected corals.He did agree that my leds were insufficient and therefore,he is sending me a care package to rectify the issue i am currently experiencing:lol: i am one happy customer....also been told that the one touch controller is now available but limited.a huge shout out to the big guy IKE.thanks Ecoxotic!

mrhasan
12-17-2012, 08:43 PM
UPDATE!!!i've recently contacted Ecoxotic via Twitter and expressed my concerns pertaining my panorama modules lacking intesity to "sustain" sps corals.i've exchanged e-mails with Ike(i think he's the big boss)explained to him what was happening with my corals and included a picture to show him my affected corals.He did agree that my leds were insufficient and therefore,he is sending me a care package to rectify the issue i am currently experiencing:lol: i am one happy customer....also been told that the one touch controller is now available but limited.a huge shout out to the big guy IKE.thanks Ecoxotic!

Awesome :D One thing's for sure; big names always try to keep their customers happy :)

I was just wondering what is this care package?

NIVLEM09
12-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I was surprised myself that the big guy took the time to communicate and help me out.the care package includes more panorama modules and reflectors and the controller that i've waited for a long time:biggrin: christmas is early for me...

mrhasan
12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
I was surprised myself that the big guy took the time to communicate and help me out.the care package includes more panorama modules and reflectors and the controller that i've waited for a long time:biggrin: christmas is early for me...

Lucky you :D All those sweet stuffs for free; Christmas is definitely early for u ;)

NIVLEM09
12-17-2012, 09:00 PM