PDA

View Full Version : creating a wave? novelty or important?

Calgarynewtankguy
12-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I am looking at putting some higher end pumps in my DT (48x24x24) i see all kinds of posts about creating a wave. is this something that is beneficial to the inhabitants or just a fad? I am thinking of putting a couple of controllable tunze pumps just not sure how to set up how they function.

still in the research stage :wink:

Leah
12-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Fad probably....but I am a believer and love my wave.

xenon
12-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Having controllable pump creating random flow patterns does nothing to create a wave.

You would need a wavebox to do what you are asking and its not a fad at all. It adds 30% more flow to your tank without blasting polyps closed.

I use a mix of Vortech powerheads with Tunze waveboxes with great success.

fencer
12-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Waves+++

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 12:24 AM
I run a wave without a wavebox, just two controllable tunzes and my controller. I find it gets water moving in areas that might otherwise have dead zones.

kien
12-12-2012, 12:36 AM
It is not a fad, nor is it required :-)

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 02:27 AM
It is not a fad, nor is it required :-)

Sums it up pretty good :)

xenon
12-12-2012, 02:30 AM
I run a wave without a wavebox, just two controllable tunzes and my controller. I find it gets water moving in areas that might otherwise have dead zones.

There seems to be different definitions of a "wave" in an aquarium.

Post a video of your wave. Even two Vortech powerheads in anti-sync mode can produce a wave in the aquarium but its violent.

A Tunze wavebox creates a massive wave in a tank but does it effortlessly with a very small pump in a box.

You just cant compare the two. I've tried both and Tunze wavebox kills!

Delphinus
12-12-2012, 04:07 AM
I like the wave effect myself, it does create a nice back and forth whooshing effect that is neat to watch especially with tentacly things like anemones or softies, and seems to promote good polyp extension overall.

But the box takes a fair chunk-o-space in the tank.

Seen the waves produced by Vortechs and it's impressive that they can do that without the aid of a box to displace water in and out of (like how the Tunzes do it). Not sure but I think you need more than one though, to pull it off correctly.

reefermadness
12-12-2012, 04:13 AM
I find the polyp extension is better with a wavebox......plus I feel like I need less powerheads. Personally I would not run a tank with out one now that I have had it.

gregzz4
12-12-2012, 04:16 AM

Post a video of your wave. Even two Vortech powerheads in anti-sync mode can produce a wave in the aquarium but its violent.

A Tunze wavebox creates a massive wave in a tank but does it effortlessly with a very small pump in a box.

I've never used or seen a wavebox in action ... besides videos
Vortech waves are controllable, and don't need to be violent to be effective
I don't want to overly stress my tank seams, so my wave only travels less than 1/4" up and down, closer to 1/8" travel
The wave still has a very positive effect on all my corals with the back and forth motion

I like the wave effect myself, it does create a nice back and forth whooshing effect that is neat to watch especially with tentacly things like anemones or softies, and seems to promote good polyp extension overall.

Seen the waves produced by Vortechs and it's impressive that they can do that without the aid of a box to displace water in and out of (like how the Tunzes do it). Not sure but I think you need more than one though, to pull it off correctly.
In small tanks, a wave can be created with only one pump, but in doing so the pump has a much larger output force so it's hard on anything close to it

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 04:25 AM

Yes, the box does a better wave, but slightly. I get a 2 inch wave cresting in the center of the tank. Not quite the force a box generates, but still a wave by any definition.

gregzz4
12-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Yes, the box does a better wave, but slightly. I get a 2 inch wave cresting in the center of the tank. Not quite the force a box generates, but still a wave by any definition.
Wow :surprise:
I'd be nervous creating a wave that big
Besides it probably spilling out the top of my tank, I'd be worried about my seams letting go
Nevermind all the noise from the overflow box slurp slurp slurp :wink:

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Greg, it's not that noisy. It gets bigger at 1:30 when then mid day cycle starts, and you can hear it then, but it's just background noise now :)

gregzz4
12-12-2012, 05:14 AM
Greg, it's not that noisy. It gets bigger at 1:30 when then mid day cycle starts, and you can hear it then, but it's just background noise now :)
What are you making your waves with ?

Dez
12-12-2012, 07:39 AM

I found a way to hide it :) - external wave box!!!:biggrin:

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
What are you making your waves with ?

2 Tunze 6100s

Calgarynewtankguy
12-12-2012, 12:41 PM
2 Tunze 6100s

What are you controlling the tunze with? What size of tank and how do you have them placed? (Sorry, complete rookie. I have to ask lots of questions)

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 01:11 PM
What are you controlling the tunze with? What size of tank and how do you have them placed? (Sorry, complete rookie. I have to ask lots of questions)

I use an Apex controller, with specific profiles for a 6' tank. Cost of the pumps and controller are probably more than a box, so consider that. I had the stuff anyway, so for me it was the way to go.

Calgarynewtankguy
12-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I use an Apex controller, with specific profiles for a 6' tank. Cost of the pumps and controller are probably more than a box, so consider that. I had the stuff anyway, so for me it was the way to go.

I already have the apex controller and probably only need 6095's (according to tunze) for my tank. Did you create the profile or find it some where?

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I already have the apex controller and probably only need 6095's (according to tunze) for my tank. Did you create the profile or find it some where?

I grabbed it from a thread in the Neptune forum on RC.

mikeclarke
12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I have two koralias (1400s I think) in a 6 hour alternating mode (with the koralia "wave" controller) in my 72x18x18 tank. I find that it works pretty good. I've thought about putting a tiny powerhead in the back on the tank.

Are tunzes way better? They are a lot more money. Is getting a push pull action also worth it? I've got some begginner sps and softies.

Aquattro
12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Tunzes are way better, due to their ability to pulse. Does the benefit of having this control outweigh the high price? Depends on what you need/want in your tank.

However, as long as you have decent random flow in your tank, you're probably good spending your money on something else :)

mikeclarke
12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks.

Tunzes are way better, due to their ability to pulse. Does the benefit of having this control outweigh the high price? Depends on what you need/want in your tank.

However, as long as you have decent random flow in your tank, you're probably good spending your money on something else :)