PDA

View Full Version : Best Biopellet reactor

Jason McK
12-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Wondering if people could give me their thoughts on what the best Biopellets fluidized filter is

apexifd
12-11-2012, 04:20 AM
best one out there is probably euro reef but, it's not cheap either.

Reef Octopus is nice as well.

I use Aquamaxx, which works quite well for me.

There's also nexreef SMR1 and others similar up flow design reactor.

Delphinus
12-11-2012, 04:23 AM
I've been using a Vertex UF-20 for a couple years now and it seems to do well. At least I never need to do anything with it other than add pellets every 6 months or so.

Reef Pilot
12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Ditto on the UF-20. Easy to control tumble with valve on the intake.

H2o2
12-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Check out the new Cad Light conic bio reactor under filtersection at J&Ls its plug and play and seems like a good build

kien
12-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Been using my Vertex UF-20 for a 3 years now as well. Works well. I'm in the process of looking for a recirculating one though so that I can fine tune the output independently of the fluidization. The new recirculating pellet reactors look cool and if I were to buy a brand new one today I'd probably get the Reef octopus one.

Seriak
12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I am also looking for one, but I couldn't find the Reef Octopus one from my usual online vendors. I did see that JL has the new vertex reactors. Anyone know anything about these yet?

Vertex RX-U 1.5 Media Reactor

kien
12-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I am also looking for one, but I couldn't find the Reef Octopus one from my usual online vendors. I did see that JL has the new vertex reactors. Anyone know anything about these yet?

I groped one of these the other day. It's just a modified UF-15/20 reactor. Seems to me like they just beefed it up a bit with titanium screws, changed the union, and locations of the input/outputs and made the valve removable. That's the only difference I saw between the RX and UF. Otherwise the two reactors operate in more or less the same way.

Skimmerking
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
TLF here I dont have a problem with it running a Hagen 301 on it withthe mod and its tumbles like awesome

kien
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Also, BRS has the octopus reactors but I spoke to the Double-Ds at Concepts and they plan to get the Octopus biopellet reactors in soon. Give them a call maybe to secure one for yourself.

Arok3000
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Also, BRS has the octopus reactors but I spoke to the Double-Ds at Concepts and they plan to get the Octopus biopellet reactors in soon. Give them a call maybe to secure one for yourself.

Are you talking about Dave and Denny, or did they get a new secretary to encourage new customers? If the latter, then I have a few things I need to go pick up today.

kien
12-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Are you talking about Dave and Denny, or did they get a new secretary to encourage new customers? If the latter, then I have a few things I need to go pick up today.

The Double-Ds occasionally like to have "Double-D" parties.. that's all I'm gunna say..

Jason McK
12-11-2012, 09:21 PM
thanks All. I didn't realize there where so many to choose from

Tom R
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
+1

I've been using a Vertex UF-20 for a couple years now and it seems to do well. At least I never need to do anything with it other than add pellets every 6 months or so.

apexifd
12-11-2012, 09:42 PM
thanks All. I didn't realize there where so many to choose from

They are basically two types reactor that people used for BioPellets.

Regular media reactor(GFO, Carbon, etc) remove the foam and replace with mesh.

Dedicated bio pellet reactor, and these usually only has mesh or screen on the top to prevent pellets escaping, and open bottom to prevent clogging.

I have a BNIB SMR1 if you are interested.

Reef Pilot
12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Well, they definitely work very well. Over the summer, I let my tank go a bit with less water changes, and my UF-20 ran low on bio-pellets. My N03 got up to 50 PPM (I was shocked), as I hadn't checked it for a while.

I filled up my UF-20 with bio-pellets (1000 ml bag), along with some heavy MB7 dosing, and the N03 went down to zero in 3 weeks, with no cyano or any other adverse effects on my tank. When I first started using bio-pellets, it took me 6 months (I started off a little too gradual) to achieve that.

banditpowdercoat
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Is the cad lights reactor good? I'm thinking I need a new one. Have 2 TLF reactors in series off my return pump, but not quite enough flow once I split it, and it takes and dumps from my main sump. My Skimmer is in a 2nd sump(Rubbermaid) beside tank. I might be able to fit the CL reactor in the rubbermade. But want to know if it's worth it? I do get clumping after a while in the TLF reactors. Tank sitters never shake them and I'm gone 3wks outa 6

banditpowdercoat
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
CRAP, I see it BO from JL

viperfish
12-12-2012, 03:11 AM
I've been using two UF-15's for the last couple of years and they have worked great. I just ordered a Cadlights from J&L yesterday, can't wait to get it!!!

H2o2
12-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Well i ordered my cadlight also the other day and as for the backorder bandit they shouldnt be to long as they are made in the u s of a

bkelly
12-12-2012, 06:15 PM
They are basically two types reactor that people used for BioPellets.

Regular media reactor(GFO, Carbon, etc) remove the foam and replace with mesh.

Dedicated bio pellet reactor, and these usually only has mesh or screen on the top to prevent pellets escaping, and open bottom to prevent clogging.

I have a BNIB SMR1 if you are interested.
Thanks I have a vertex reactor for my pellets it always clogged , I had mesh top and bottom but now just removed the bottom-looks to be running really well now