PDA

View Full Version : Which calcium reactor do you use?

rhody605
12-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Like title says which reactor do you use?

If you could, would you chose a different one?

I currently have a 80 gallon plus 30 gallon sump. But am gathering equipment for my 225 gallon upgrade.
Looking for suggestions.

The vertex rx-6 has caught my eye so far.

Mike

Zoaelite
12-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Loved my Vertex, great build quality. Only thing that was frustrating was that my intake pump kept getting clogged and I wouldn't notice it until my levels had already fallen. That being said you provide your own pump for that feature so nothing to do with the Vertex.

whatcaneyedo
12-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I've owned two old down flow style Precision Marines, first the smaller size and then the larger. Both units were purchased in 2006, I have the larger one on my system and the smaller one is on a friend's tank now. The only issue I've had with them is that because the internal flow passed down through the media I've needed to use course media to keep the flow consistent. Fine media would compact and restrict the flow which required more frequent adjustment and maintenance. I think PM began to offer reverse flow reactors in late 2006 so that issue would no longer be a problem. The large unit also came standard with a pH probe holder installed in the lid where as I had to install one in the smaller unit myself.

It doesn't seem like any retailers in Canada carry PM anymore but you could probably find one in the buy/sell section of this forum.

jagermaier
12-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I use a duel chamber Precission Marine with coarse media in the first chamber and fine in the second. No issues...just set and forget.

BlueTang<3
12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Deltec 601 it's large but fluidized reactor and the best one I had. Feel free once I get it set up to come see it

rhody605
12-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a plan Wes.

Is the fluidized reactor as efficient as it states?

Mike

daplatapus
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm running the Vertex RX-4. I have it running off of a manifold from my main pump. Like was said I run course media as well. I've fiddled a bit with it trying to get the right Ca to my setup but since I started it up, eveything's been growing like crazy and I've had to keep increasing the flow to keep my Ca from dropping.

untamed
12-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Reverse flow 2 stage precision marine