PDA

View Full Version : Clips for Eggcrate on a Rimless Tank

darb
12-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I want to put eggcrate on my rimless tank.

Does anyone know of any sort of clip on the market?

ScubaSteve
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't know of any stock clips off the top of my head but I'll offer this: if you have exhausted all possibilities and can't find something that works for what you want, I'll design and 3D print some clips for you.

Reef Pilot
12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Would be easy to cut and bend your own out of some lexan.

darb
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Would be easy to cut and bend your own out of some lexan.

In theory yes, but ....

I think that I have sourced some made by ADA aquariums. They are stainless and I have to see what they are going to charge for them ...

BTW they have some nice tanks and cube tanks that would be outstanding for nanao reef tanks, pricey, but nice.

Reef Pilot
12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Actually, if it is just the egg crate that you want to seat in place on your rimless tank, you could do it without any clips at all. Just cut it so that it is overhanging the tank by one hole, and then clip out the bottoms all around so the top of the egg crate is near flush with the top of the tank. Then it will be seated in place and can't slip off.

molotov
12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
how about clothes pins?

Snappy
12-10-2012, 10:03 PM
This is an example of the egg crate frag racks I fashioned for my rimless tanks. Kind of ghetto looking but they work very well. What I like about these is that you can make the "hangers" any size you like so you can keep frags at whatever depth you want. They are also very easy to move around the tank and hang wherever you like.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/fragrack1.jpg

Aquattro
12-10-2012, 11:22 PM
You want to add the eggcrate as a lid? Won't gravity just hold it in place?

darb
12-11-2012, 03:24 AM

yes, in theory gravity would hold it in place, if I cut it oversize. But I am after something that is visually low profile and thus I would like to cut it so that it fits on the inside and hang it with a clip/hanger.

Below is what I plan on using.

http://s18.postimage.org/kglzxuxex/2_0.jpg

11purewater
12-11-2012, 03:33 AM
what about siliconing some 1/2 inch strips of glass around the top inside to create a ledge?or glue the eggcrate to a magnetic algae scraper.

Snappy
12-11-2012, 06:52 AM
wow I obviously misunderstood the original question.:redface: