PDA

View Full Version : check valves

farmerjo90
08-06-2002, 09:12 PM
Does anybody know where I can get a check valve in Canada. It appears as though there are holes for powerheads drilled into the overflow wall of this tank. This means the tank will siphon out onto the floor during a power outage. I know that marine depot in the US sells these valves but would rather find something locally and rather quickly. There is a ball valve of course but then you have to be home to turn it off (as if that is going to happen).

cheers
shirley

pocilipora
08-06-2002, 09:15 PM
Check valves are not failsafe. Just ask my floor. But most plumbing supply stores should have them. There is a store in Abbotsford called CPI they should be able to help you.

[ 06 August 2002, 17:17: Message edited by: pocilipora ]

farmerjo90
08-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. If check valves aren't failsafe then is there something better that I should be using?

cheers
shirley

pocilipora
08-06-2002, 09:30 PM
I think it depends, all you want to do is break the siphon by introducing air. In my case I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes in my return lines. Just under the water level. Then my sump doesnt fill up.

zulu_principle
08-07-2002, 12:44 AM
Check Valves can be pretty close (99.9%) fail safe, if you purchase the valves rated for salt water or if you clean them out regularly.

Try Fabco Plastics Wholesale

www.fabcoplastics.com (http://www.fabcoplastics.com)

Zulu

titus
08-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Hello Shirley,

Maybe you can try to plug up the holes?

Titus

pocilipora
08-07-2002, 11:29 PM
My Dad is the manager of Fabco in Port Kells, he does not recomend using one way valves due to the sponges and such that grow inside the plumbing. Unless you feel like cleaning them out about once a week, this is not a recomended route to go.