PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got crabs?

User Name
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello all. I'm new to Canreef. Not new to this hobby/addiction. Thought i would start a thread on crabs. Those hitchhiking ones in your live rock that most would remove, but that i think are awesome. I did a quick search on here and could not find very many hitchhiking crab questions. Why is that? Let's see those photos? Do you personally keep them or remove them?

whatcaneyedo
12-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Thats odd. I tried a search and found 109 threads with 'hitchhiker crab' in the subject or title which seems like a lot to me. Most of them are opportunistic omnivores and they're not welcome in my tank. However one time I actually did get a really colourful porcelain crab as a hitchhiker. That one was allowed to stay.

hfp75
12-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I got a free emerald..... He was on some rock.... He's real dark almost black but definately an emerald.

User Name
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
whatcaneyedo, i guess when i was searching i was looking more for photos of these crabs.

hfp75, rare to get a emerald crab as a hitchhiker. Do you have any photos?

kien
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I've had quite a few crabs. I've removed most of the fuzzy ones with the hairy legs tho. I've actually seen those ones graze on SPS flesh. I have also had a bunch of the maroon ones with the flat pinchers. I removed a few of them but still have a couple in the tank. I don't think they do too much harm as I've only ever seen them pinch and graze on algae. They are built just like emerald crabs actually. Sadly no pictures they only come on at night.

Coralgurl
12-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I had this one, not sure if it's still around or not as I haven't seen it in forever. Was really pretty!

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81906

Leah
12-09-2012, 07:19 PM
We talk about our crabs all the time... no shame here.

User Name
12-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Holy crab Coralgurl. That's one colourful crab. Did you ever figure out an id for that guy?

Oh, and Leah. Let's try to keep it in the tank and not below the waste. lol.

User Name
12-11-2012, 02:51 AM
On a side note. How come there's no id forum? Or am i looking in the wrong places?

gregzz4
12-11-2012, 03:01 AM
There have been numerous posts for IDs of critters but I don't think it's ever been compiled
Might be a good suggestion for a sub-forum named 'Critters' or 'ID this' or such

Have a look here (http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html) for some pics

nanoreefnewbie
12-11-2012, 03:31 AM
I've have ALOT of weeeeeiiiiiirrrrrdddddd lol hitch hackers no crabs tho:biggrin: