PDA

View Full Version : any arowana or stingray owners?

smokinreefer
05-01-2004, 06:08 PM
when i had more time and space, i used to keep a lot of freshwater tanks... from 10gallon to 180. planted tanks... predator tanks, discus, plecos, bred dwarf cichlids...

i was wandering around the LFS and saw some nice arowanas and stingrays.

anyone keeping any?

got any pics?

would love to see some.

Cap'n
05-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Not yet, but when I get more space I'm going to setup a silver arowana tank. Been doing a bunch of research on the net, very cool fish. Don't think I'm going to go with a stingray though, they always look too big for the tank.

smokinreefer
05-02-2004, 12:57 AM
when i first started out i had a silver arowana.
lost it due to jumping.

very cool fish. i used to feed it pieces of meat, beef chicken and fish.
i would dangle the food inches out of the water and let it jump up and snatch the food from my fingers.

if i set up a freshwater tank again, i would like to get an asian arowana.

Mak
05-02-2004, 03:02 AM
lost it due to jumping.

Think I found out why!!!

i would dangle the food inches out of the water and let it jump up and snatch the food from my fingers.

LOL J/K :lol: I lost mine like that too. It was probably going after a fly or something :wink:

BiGG-MaC
06-13-2004, 07:48 AM
I've kept many arowana's within the 6 years i have been keeping fish. i recently bought a black arowana when it was tiny i mean like 2 inches now its about 8 inches. they r great fish

bluetang
06-13-2004, 03:49 PM
I had a motoro Sting ray about 6" across for about 1 year. Great animals to own. I dont care what anyone says, you need a custom built tank for these guys. You need a tank that is long and wide. depth isn't a real issue but, they need alot of room to swim. You wouldnt think so because you mainly see them buried in the sand but they actually swim lots. They will do laps for hours, so a long tank is a must. IMO 6ft tank minimum.
They are the most majestic and friendly aquatic animal you will ever own. I could put my fingers in the tank and slash the water a little and it would come up and alow me to pet it on the head, it loved it. it would get so excited that it would spash water everywhere and nearly jump out of the tank.
As far as feeding is concerned, most pet stores have them on feeder fish. I would not recomend this for you. Get one that is young and train it to eat other foods. Fedder gold fish due to the way they are kept(Hundreds per small tank) carry a multiple of diseases and parasites on them. Therefore you will be just transfering these diseases to you animal. This is how mine died. Before it died I had it eating clam meat, dew worms and of couse those dirty little feeder goldfish. Incredible animals

Invigor
08-20-2004, 11:17 PM
petland in regina brought a few teacup rays in but when I went there they were all sold :P

I was chattin with the manager there and they go through about 20 discus in a week...scares me to think of who's buying them

Cap'n
08-21-2004, 05:29 AM
...scares me to think of who's buying them

Me too. Same with lots of fish.

I'm still in the planning stages for my arowana tamk. What do the experienced owners think of a 6' tank with a 18" square portion divided by eggcrate for convict cichlids (feeders)?

DOO-E
08-21-2004, 06:25 AM
A person who can figure out how to breed arrowanas can make a killing. I was talking to a japanese fellow and he said that a gold arrowana is suposed to bring good luck. Well look up the prices of gold arrowanas little ones are 5 grand and big ones are 25 grand. If you could breed them and sell 2 that would pay for the pair.

StirCrazy
08-21-2004, 06:41 AM
I always wanted to have an arowana, but I don't feel I could give it a proper tank size to justify my getting it. I actualy feel sorry for them when I see them in LFS in little tiny tank that they can hardly turn around in. now if I could do a 4 or 5000 gal pond and not worry about the birds eating it.. hmmmm

Steve

Richer
08-21-2004, 06:51 AM
My father and I kept a black arowana in a 6x2x2 tank a few years back, before it jumped out of the tank and died during the night... at the time, it was about 3 feet long. In retrospect, I would have put in a much larger tank, and put more bricks on the canopy.
IMHO, arowanas are great fish if you're able to provide the correct tank conditions for them (like most other fish)... the problem is, the average keeper cannot do that. Silver arowanas are the ones you need to watch out... I've read that they can grow up to 8 feet long... and I've seen one that was at least 4-5 feet long. Those ones are relatively inexpensive and easy to find, but getting the correct tank for them would be the killer.

-Richer

DiscusZ
11-15-2004, 12:08 AM
Arrowanas are definately cool. I have kept one as well got it as a small fish and when it jumped it was 24" long. it managed to get the weight off the canopy.

There is a local store in Calgary that has expensive Arrowanas, i have seen some of the $25k ones.. very very sweet looking fish,, they are even Micro chipped as well

Jim

Invigor
11-15-2004, 12:44 AM
25k for a fish? that's crazy

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-15-2004, 06:42 AM
In the wild, Arrowanas jump out of the water to snatch prey from low-lying branches. Yup, into the trees at the side of the river. No wonder almost everyone I know, including myself, whose ever kept these beautiful fish have lost them due to jumping/suicide. The ideal tank would probably have to be several feet in diameter & have at least 3-4 feet clearance on top to keep them from knocking off the lid. Hmmm. Now I know what's my next project :lol:

Delphinus
11-15-2004, 02:48 PM
There's a Smitty's in town in Calgary where for a treat every couple of weeks or so, we'll go for breakfast (Texas skillet, yummmmm :mrgreen: ). Anyhow in the centre of the restaurant is about a 600 gallon FW tank (6' x 6' square, approx. 30" tall ... minus a 24"x24" square in the centre, making the tank a square "donut" shape). In there they have some albino oscars, some large plecs, some cats and some other fish, and one white arrowana easily some 36" in length. Very cool to watch.

What's neat is watching how he breathes, seems to draw water in quite differently from how other fish do it.

I could see that they'd jump quite easily. Man when that fish wants to move, he can move.

Buccaneer
11-15-2004, 03:49 PM
I donated a Tiger Oscar to that tank a few years back :cool:

He got too big for the 66G tank I had him in and of course that 66G became my first reef tank. :mrgreen:

Cap'n
11-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Which Smitty's is that? I'm going!

Booker's, the Cajun place just off 4th Ave by Riverfront has a couple good sized tanks as well. Can't remember what was in them though. About time I went back.

While it is true that you need to spend an outrageous sum for a colourful asian arrowana, the silvers can be had for $12 when young. These guys will quickly grow to a 3 foot monster in 3 years and I find them just as intriguing. I actually prefer the shape of the silvers, they more resemble their prehistoric roots.

Delphinus
11-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Which Smitty's is that? I'm going!

It's the one in between Rona and Walmart, at Southland & McLeod.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Oh yeah, my students in Surrey had a custom-made tank built into the wall where their dad kept a bunch of fancy arrowanas. Charly had to actually go diving in the tank to clean the glass & do other stuff. It was about 10-12 feet long & 4 feet tall. :eek: