PDA

View Full Version : Heavy tanks on tile

Jeff
05-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Anyone had any issues or concerns with medium size tanks (120-180gal) sitting on tile floors? I'm going to be tiling a floor where I want to put a tank. Getting things very very level in terms of the tile is obviously crucial...any other advice that anyone can offer for things to watch for? I'll probably be going with some sort of stone tile rather than ceramic...more for the strength than anything but I also prefer the look.

Thanks

EmilyB
05-01-2004, 07:12 PM
We talked to several people about it and decided to tile around the tank.

Beverly
05-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Jeff,

Our entire condo has ceramic tile flooring. Largest tank of three is 72g soon to be upgraded to a 120g. We just made sure we had the tanks level the same way as if we had it on lino or hardwood, as the ceramic tile is smooth.

Don't know if I would go with stone tile with SW, though. Salt is pretty corrosive and may react with the stone. There is stone flooring in the lobby of our building. The surface is rough and rather uneven from tile to tile. I think it would be very difficult to level a tank on that kind of stone floor. JMO, though.

Quinn
05-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Would one be more concerned with distributing the weight of the tank over a larger area with tile?