PDA

View Full Version : 220 Gal DT

Steve...
12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I have set up a 220 gal reef tank and its been a month now and it went through a diatom bloom and there is still a bit of hair algae left on the rocks. The glass seems to get covered up with film algae fairly quick and requires to be clean down daily. Water parameters are fine now, would you say its done cycling or should I wait for the tank to become algae free? Any thoughts?

FishyFishy!
12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
At this point, I would add a major clean up crew. This usually cleans up most of the algae. Then monitor your perameters for a bit to make sure they are still good.

If all goes well, then you're ready to add some starter livestock.

Steve...
12-06-2012, 09:39 PM
How big of a clean up crew would you say and what should I add?

FishyFishy!
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
A lot in a tank that size. Sounds like a lot, but a proper cleanup crew in a 220 could be as much as 100+ snails, and 80+ crabs (dependant on size).

But I would start with around 60 snails and 30 Hermits. The more algae, the more clean up crew. You can always add more, or take some out. If they clean up the algae in a week, you'll need to remove some because they will quickly run out of food.

Theres a bunch of "rules of thumb" like 1 snail per 1.5 gallons, and 1 crab per 2 gallons and such, but I think its all just made up.

Steve...
12-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Someone told me to supplement the clean up crews with algae waffers?(Pardon Spelling) Thoughts?

FishyFishy!
12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
And to add to that, here is an example from reefcleaners.org of what they recommend in a tank of this size:

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=323&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

Crazy how many they recommend!

denny_CC
12-06-2012, 09:56 PM
honestly before you start adding livestock i would look into how your going to remove nutrients like phosphates and nitrates, gfo is alot easier to apply now then when there is livestock for the first time. gfo on a new tank while the phos is high can add a bit of stress to your living friends;)

get yourself a good test kit for phosphates and nitrates, once they are controlled you can continue on with livestock , and corals even.

fishy fishy is right youll need a fairly good size CUC for a tank that large , what you put into it will depend on what you like and what you plan to keep long term:)

FishyFishy!
12-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Someone told me to supplement the clean up crews with algae waffers?(Pardon Spelling) Thoughts?

You could... but a more natural approach should be just fine. Some will die off, but most will stay and be a vital part of cleaning up the junk, un eaten food and algae that grows naturally. There truely shouldn't be a need to suppliment their food.

Steve...
12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow, thats not bad compared to J&L. I think they where selling their package for $400 plus for a tank that size with similar items. Have you used this company before?

mrhasan
12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Or maybe you can just add about a dozen maxican turbos. They are diatom eradicating machine :P Atleast the diatoms will be taken care of in a matter of days.

Hermits are evil :twised: Zebra ones are great but they are expensive!

P.S. Turbos can get really big and can ramp down rocks and frags unless they are placed properly with glue/putty/center of gravity :mrgreen:

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-06-2012, 10:27 PM
What you will find is few different approach for a cleanup crew.everyone is right.
I will tell you from my experience.
I have tried all types of snails and crabs and yes they do a great cleanup,but as your tank starts to mature you will lose few of them and eventually will require to keep on buying more.
For my setup and I think you seen it.
:biggrin:
A good Rodi water continuously scheduled water changes,good skimming,and ample amount of HCGFO with carbon does the trick in my system without a spec of algae,ton of water movement and my sump is full of live rock.hope that helps.

molotov
12-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Before you go adding a cleanup crew you'll want to make sure your nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are all at zero for a minimum of one week.

Elias is right; as your algae diminish your cleanup crew will have less to feed on and start to die off. Get some GFO going and when you're ready for some Cheato ask in this forum. People are always looking to get rid of it. As a matter of fact I'm ready to get rid of some of mine. Also a remote sand bed in your sump will also be a good idea. It was Denny that put me onto that :)

Good luck and have fun with your tank.

Steve...
12-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Hi Elias, I got a "Phos Ban " reactor right now running. I never used GFO before. How do I go about setting one up? I appreciate everyone's feedback :)

Steve...
12-07-2012, 04:22 AM
With the cheato I can just throw it in my sump with a light on right or can I put it in the main display?

FishyFishy!
12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi Elias, I got a "Phos Ban " reactor right now running. I never used GFO before. How do I go about setting one up? I appreciate everyone's feedback :)

What are you running in your phosban reactor? If its phosban from TLF, then it is a form of GFO, so you're good.

With the cheato I can just throw it in my sump with a light on right or can I put it in the main display?

In sump with a light for the cheato. Just make sure that it is relatively contained so that it dosn't make it's way to your return pump or feed pumps.