PDA

View Full Version : Giesemann Futura

Rognin
12-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Anyone seen any reviews on this light?

Much appreciated! :wink:

Jakegr
12-07-2012, 02:40 AM
I don't think the Futura is available in North America yet, only the Tezsla.

Rognin
12-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't think the Futura is available in North America yet, only the Tezsla.

I may be able to get my hands on a Futura 950mm fixture (1250mm seems overkill) for my 55g tank. It's just crazy expensive compared to say a Sunbrite. Has the same functions.

I'm gonna wait and see what the reviews say when they start popping up on the net.

sphelps
12-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I've really never even heard of it until now but it appears not to be full spectrum. Personally I wouldn't spend much on an LED light that wasn't.

Rognin
12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I've really never even heard of it until now but it appears not to be full spectrum. Personally I wouldn't spend much on an LED light that wasn't.

I'm glad you brought that up. Lets start with history then my questions, if you so wish to enlighten me (I'm in the total dark right now). :redface:

Background: I love computers and have it as a hobby (Build Log linky to computer (http://www.overclock.net/t/1268950/build-log-synthetic-anatomy)). I wanted something my gf and I could share as a hobby (she hates computers). So I started a 12g freshwater tank in a fluval 12g edge. The addiction (after 6 months) got worse both for her and I. I picked up a 55gal tank (made for fresh water mind you, model: Fluval 55g (http://www.aquariumswest.com/fluval_premium_kits_ad.html) ) 3 months ago for cheap (195 CAD). It's been running for the better part of two months on the stock light, a Tunze turbelle 6065 and the Fluval C4 mechanical filter that came with the tank. All that was in the tank was live rock (about 43lbs) and live sand (1.5 inches at the bottom of the tank). About two weeks ago I added a couple snails (8 small 3 medium), hermit crabs and two urchin (tuxedo and the other I can't remember). Coralin is really bright and spreading. Lights are one 5 hours a day. Went back to the LFS after a thorough water test and added three green/blue chromis. So that's where I'm at right now.

Now onto the current questions. I want something that's mostly automated (skimmer, lights and maybe powerheads). I've really been interested in the LED side of things (ecotech, Sunbrite, Geisemann, buildmyled, AI etc). But spectrums, power (either watts or K's) are a little hard for me to grasp. If I want a reef with some fish (clown, chromis, gobies and blennies), corals and the possibility of nem (in a year or so); what would I really need that's of good quality with great function that can be set via a PC?

I really though a SB F-series would be enough (48") but the more I read the more I'm confused... The ecotech lights seem awesome and have the possibility of getting two VorTech MP10w ES powerheads controlled via the same software. Something no other product I've found can do. When I purchase that light I'll be getting a skimmer also and was thinking the Tunze Reefpack 505.

A little guidance would go a long way for me. I just need the nudge in the right direction.

Thanks!

-Rog

Edit: Should I be posting this somewhere else?