PDA

View Full Version : Hose clamp

Kevotron
12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I am currently using one to clamp down the hose that is on my return pump
but even though it states is stainless steel it has begun to rust
is there any rust proof clamps that I can purchase if so where ?

lastlight
12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Is the clamp submerged?

Kevotron
12-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes it is

gregzz4
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Which part of the clamp is rusting, the band or the screw ? Or both ...
Is there a part# on the clamp, such as HS12 or 16 or 20 ? Or a size range in mm

lastlight
12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
I was going to suggest wrapping a piece of thin rubber material around it and then securing top and bottom with zipties but for submerged water might still get in there.

I previously used a laguna pond pump and needed to use a gear clamp which rusted too. Not sure what I would have done if it was submerged sorry. You can get larger plastic clamps off BRS I think but I didn't trust one against 3000 gph.

Kevotron
12-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Is the band that is rusting, and i couldnt get the part number
plastic would be great but i dnt know where i would find it.
just worried the rust would leach into the water and commit murder on my corals/fish

gregzz4
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
It's odd that the band is rusting but not the screw. It's usually the other way around with mixed-metal gear clamps where the screw is steel and the band is stainless
It's possible the clamp you have is knock-off garbage
If you'd like to try a full stainless clamp, look for a Tridon with the part # starting with HAS ( HS has a steel screw, HAS is full stainless )
If you're having trouble finding one, try a boat repair shop. You can get AWAB, Trident and Tridon to name a few
AWAB are about the best
As for plastic, I can't think of any I'd trust for a return pump
As for rust in your tank, others have stated not to worry about it as it's just iron

Proteus
12-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I use plastic ones. They work fine but I don't think they have as good holding power

jagermaier
12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Most hoses fit so tight that a clamp isn't necessary, take the clamp off and see if it holds without it. Stand back in case it doesn't!! :razz:

lastlight
12-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Another trick I've used is to use a pair of zipties (around the hose and pump) then another two ties to pull pipe and pump together.

SmallFry
12-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I am currently using one to clamp down the hose that is on my return pump
but even though it states is stainless steel it has begun to rust
is there any rust proof clamps that I can purchase if so where ?

Saltwater is a right b*tch when it comes to things like that - I've seen stainless on boats rust like crazy. It depends what grade of stainless it is too - the basic ones sold as stainless won't stand up to salt water without rusting. On boats nobody really uses stainless below the waterline either..

Stainless steel's resistance comes from a protective film of chromium oxide. In stagnant areas where the oxygen content of the water decreases the oxide film is lost and you get corrosion. This may be why people are reporting the screw threads are corroding first.

My best guess for a source of high grade stainless steel clamps would be a chandlery, possibly one on the coast that is catering to boat owners in salt water rather than lakes where freshwater is easier on things..
I might be tempted to try getting a new, clean clamp, tighten it, then drown the whole thing in aquarium safe silicone so it doesn't even get wet..

Just a word of warning. Some of the better alloys (for example Monel) are extremely resistant, but the contain copper, so maybe not a good idea. The copper may play nice and stay in the alloy, but I wouldn't chance it myself.. :neutral:

Reef Pilot
12-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Never used any myself, but apparently lots of plastic clamps available if you Google.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=plastic+hose+clamps&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=oFm&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tPS_UOvZAaK6igKO6YDoCw&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=993&bih=863

Kevotron
12-06-2012, 03:59 AM
looking at images is easy, i know they exist, just dont know where to purchase them
haha

Reef Pilot
12-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Well, if you would click on some of those images..., lots of places that sell those clamps. Google is your friend... Here are a couple links to get you started.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23427&catid=858

One of these places in Edm might sell them.
http://www.cylex.ca/edmonton/hose.html