PDA

View Full Version : Biocube owners

wavemaster
12-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Would like to know what corals biocube owners have had long term success with using the regular lighting.

These are the corals that have done best in my biocube 29:
frogspawn
Green mushrooms
purple mushrooms
green star
kenya tree
finger leather

What corals are doing well in your biocube?

lpsreefer
12-05-2012, 03:40 AM
I had zoas grow awesome.
Digi sps but it was 1/2 inch from the surface.
Not corals but nems do great.

Mike-fish
12-05-2012, 04:32 AM
I have the hqi version so i can pretty much keep what ever I want nicely I'm still trying to get the hang of spa but I certainly have the light to do it.

STANKYfish
12-05-2012, 05:54 AM
I have a 14g biocube, stock lights. Zoas grow great, mushrooms and rodactis multiply like crazy, duncans grow well, as does blastos, palys.

wavemaster
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Why not also state what fish have done well in the biocube?
In my 29:
-clownfish
-blue/green chromis

Looking to add 1 more fish. Really like the diamond watchman goby.

BC564
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a biocube 14gal in my office at work. People are always over to see it.

have two clowns in there which draw the kids in all the time. The clowns love the fuzzy mushrooms which have grown crazy over the last year....

One orange spot goby.
Green serpent star....which I need to transfer to my home tank....he was tiny 4 years ago and is now a monster.
bunch of hermit crabs and snails.

I am running the original lighting but am switching over to the LED kit over christmas.

RBTA ....
Candy Cane
frog spawn
tons of fuzzy mushrooms.....they are huge.....some are 8 inches across and over lapping ...i need to take some of them home too.

gobytron
12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I have kept literally everything in my aquapods/Biocubes over the years.
I also have HQI versions but have also run stock lighting.

Once you optimize the filtration in these tanks and make sure you're mindful of just how few fish should really go into one of these tanks...they are pretty bullet proof.

I ran an aquapod 12 for almost 2 years (70W HQI) with 8 different acros and 3 small clown gobies...there were also a few crocea/maxima and 2 Mandarins.

Come to think of it, that might be the system Ive been the most proud of in my reefkeeping.

BC564
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Just keep up on the water changes which are fast and easy with these guys.

Ranchu50
12-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I picked up my biocube about 3 months ago.

I have:
Anemone (who moves all over the place because i heard the stock lighting isnt good enough)
green star polyp
Green finge leather
Corky fingers

2 clowns
1 damsal

PurpleMonkey
12-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I have a BC29.

Corals:
Acans, Zoas, Neon Candycane, Frogspawn, Hammer, Duncans, Blastos (Wellsi and merletti), green birdsnest, Birds of Paradise, Rics, Yumas, Red monti cap, Green Chili Monti cap, some teal acro (its a little browned out, put in as an experiment), and a green chalice with orange/pink eyes (some sort of mummy eye chalice I think)

Livestock: 1 B-grade Picasso Percula, 1 bi-colour blenny, 1 neon goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 tiger pistol + 1 Randall's goby, 2 green chromis, 1 red scooter dragonette

wavemaster
12-07-2012, 03:01 PM
How many hours per day is everyone running their lights?

Chief Hill
12-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm running lights about 10 hrs.

Green mushroom
Trumpet coral
Hairy mushroom
Green star polyp
Yellow polyp
Green and peach zoes
Hammer coral
Frogspawn

All appears to be doing well. Still a new tank and still learning myself.
Ls
2 blue green chromis
1 lawnmower blenny
1 cleaner shrimp
1 fire dartfish
1 tubewoorm / feather duster
1 pink sea cucumber

BC564
12-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I run mine from 8am to 5pm.....coincidently that is how long I am in my office... so its all about me

Treebeard
12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
What LED kit or you installing? I am planning on setting up my wife's Biocube with an LED retrofit.

I have a biocube 14gal in my office at work. People are always over to see it.

have two clowns in there which draw the kids in all the time. The clowns love the fuzzy mushrooms which have grown crazy over the last year....

One orange spot goby.
Green serpent star....which I need to transfer to my home tank....he was tiny 4 years ago and is now a monster.
bunch of hermit crabs and snails.

I am running the original lighting but am switching over to the LED kit over christmas.

RBTA ....
Candy Cane
frog spawn
tons of fuzzy mushrooms.....they are huge.....some are 8 inches across and over lapping ...i need to take some of them home too.

BC564
12-12-2012, 11:14 PM
This is the one I have been looking at .

http://www.rapidled.com/oceanic-biocube-14-dimmable-retrofit-kit/

Xadieu
12-13-2012, 02:12 AM
I have Steve's LED retrofit kit for biocube 29 and it works great! I also got the boostled controller to control the moon cycle, gotta say it's pretty awesome.

Treebeard
12-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Do you have more info on this? Any links? Sorry, but I am not sure who Steve is...

I have Steve's LED retrofit kit for biocube 29 and it works great! I also got the boostled controller to control the moon cycle, gotta say it's pretty awesome.

Xadieu
12-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Do you have more info on this? Any links? Sorry, but I am not sure who Steve is...

Here's the link http://shop.stevesleds.com/

You can choose between CREED led or Luxeon Phillip LED both offers 3w voltage but in a biocube you would never need that much, I run mine at 25% intensity for whites and 35% for blues and trust me it is powerful. You can't even go up to 100% without blinding your eyes. Currently the Phillip are little bit better than CREED so that's why I went with Steve's LED instead of Rapid LED.

Good luck!

Xadieu
12-13-2012, 02:56 AM
How many hours per day is everyone running their lights?

Currently running 10 hours along with 2 hours of moonlighting. If you use LED you never have to change light bulbs because the spectrum never changes, you just use them until they die which is like 50,000 hours and that works our to be 10 years+ if you use T5 or MH then you gotta change the bulbs every 6-8 months and the cost can add up over time.

Treebeard
12-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Are you running them on a controller or timers?

Here's the link http://shop.stevesleds.com/

You can choose between CREED led or Luxeon Phillip LED both offers 3w voltage but in a biocube you would never need that much, I run mine at 25% intensity for whites and 35% for blues and trust me it is powerful. You can't even go up to 100% without blinding your eyes. Currently the Phillip are little bit better than CREED so that's why I went with Steve's LED instead of Rapid LED.

Good luck!

Xadieu
12-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Are you running them on a controller or timers?

Controller for LED and timers for Moonlights.

Treebeard
12-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I emailed them a while ago to get the shipping charges to Strathmore. Do you recall how much it was to Calgary?

Xadieu
12-13-2012, 06:18 PM
I emailed them a while ago to get the shipping charges to Strathmore. Do you recall how much it was to Calgary?

Straight $45, you don't have to pay customs unlike other companies that doesn't tell you that you had to pay yourself.