PDA

View Full Version : Fish Stocking Question

molotov
12-05-2012, 01:37 AM
My display tank is 165Gal. I have a pair of clown fish, three pajama cardinals and a blue hippo tang.

I quarantine all my fish for six weeks before introducing them into the display. I would like me next fish to be a Copperband Butterfly for sure.

I have a 15Gal quarantine tank that I will use to hold the fish for six weeks. My question is this, what other fish possibly two in addition to the Copperband would you have in a 15Gal Quarantine for six weeks. I understand the Copperband is quite a fragile fish and they tend to die quite easily. So I'm looking for a low stress fish to accompany the Copperband.

Reef Pilot
12-05-2012, 01:50 AM
I QT'ed my Copperband with a small Azure Damsel. The Azure is very peaceful (unlike some other Damsels) and was a good mate for the Copperband. He would eat the bits the Copperband left behind as I was introducing him to new foods. The Azure would never compete for food, always giving way to the Copperband, and was content with just the leftovers.
Here is a thread from a couple years ago.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73021

molotov
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
That's a good thread you had going there. So now I'm wondering what other people do to keep their Copperband's eating?

How long have people successfully kept a Copperband in a community reef aquarium?

molotov
12-06-2012, 01:27 PM
How many people here keep Copperband's and how long have you had yours?

Reef Pilot
12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I had mine for just over 1.5 years, until this summer when I lost my Copperband and a Royal Gramma. I had some issues in my tank as a result of inadequate QT of some new fish and my being away a lot at that time. Fortunately all my other fish survived, and my tank is fully recovered now.

Yes, the Copperband is a harder fish to keep, but can be done very successfully. Mine was feeding well and was happy until he got sick. The trick is to get them to feed well on a variety of foods, and have the right tank mates. I think your original question of what fish to stock is a good one.

The Copperband does not compete well for food with other more aggressive fish. With mine, I had to feed frequently so he could get enough before the others gobbled it up. And with frozen food, I had to use a turkey baster to target feed, so he would get his share.

I originally got my Copperband to solve my aiptasia infestation. However, my Pearlescales did a much better job of that, and are a much easier butterfly fish to keep. And they also don't bother eat my corals.

molotov
12-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I wonder if I could have a Royal Gamma in a 15gal with a Copperband Butterfly? Do you think that might work?

Reef Pilot
12-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I wonder if I could have a Royal Gamma in a 15gal with a Copperband Butterfly? Do you think that might work?
Yeah, Royal Gramma is fine. I had two (lost one), and they were fine with the Copperband. But tangs, wrasses, and other butterfly fish can be a problem, just because they are more pigs at feeding time. The Copperband has this long beak, and is just a little more dainty with the eating. Copperbands are beautiful fish, no question, but do indeed require more attention and care.

I should ask, too, what is your main motivation about getting a Copperband?

molotov
12-07-2012, 01:21 AM
So I was at the LFS today to purchase my Copperband Butterfly and I came home with a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty.

No Copperband :(

I couldn't help myself. The angels are beautiful fish. Because I quarantine my fish for six weeks before introducing them into the display I wanted to do two fish instead of one.