PDA

View Full Version : Another Defective Emerald Crab ARRGGHH!!!

Beverly
05-01-2004, 12:36 AM
I have valonia. Lots of it. I tear down the tank, scrape the stuff off, but it grows back :evil: Last year, got an emerald crab to take care of it, but the crab only ate coralline algae :confused:

Got another emerald about a month ago. Ate very little valonia, but did find the tasty ornamental macroalgae I cultivate for nitrate removal :confused: Removed the ornamental MA to another tank, thinking HAH! he's got to eat valonia now :mrgreen:

Well, I was wrong. Caught him hunkered down in my galaxy coral munching away :mad: Removed the coral, getting stung all over my hands, but managed to get him out.

Do I take him back to the lfs for some unsuspecting person to buy to eat their corals, or do I rock this sucker? Yes, this is a serious question, BTW :crazyeye:

Don't think I'm EVER going to introduce another crab to my tank. EVER, EVER, EVER :evil:

Samw
05-01-2004, 12:59 AM
That's too bad. I'm sure someone will take him. I know I would. I have 2 already and I need one for my brother's tank.

Beverly
05-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Sam, you would take it even if you knew it had developed a taste for corals?

rodsboys
05-01-2004, 04:26 AM
I'd take him off your hands.I have been thinking about getting one anyway and I don't keep corals.(at least not yet)
I'd be happy to give you a couple bucks for him.

Quinn
05-01-2004, 04:27 AM
It can't help what it has evolved to eat. This animal was collected from the wild and as such is an unmanaged non-renewable natural resource. In my mind, it would be unethical to "rock" it. I would be willing to take it, but I think the better option would be to return it. I don't really feel that depending on livestock to solve an algae problem is necessarily the best solution either.

Samw
05-01-2004, 05:53 AM
Sam, you would take it even if you knew it had developed a taste for corals?

Hi Bev. If there was a chance for me to pick it up, yeah, I would give it a try. We don't have any Galaxy corals. :lol:

Beverly
05-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I'd take him off your hands.I have been thinking about getting one anyway and I don't keep corals.(at least not yet)
I'd be happy to give you a couple bucks for him.

Tony,

You can pick it up this weekend if you like. PM me for address, phone, etc.

rodsboys
05-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Well, I was wrong. Caught him hunkered down in my galaxy coral munching away :mad: Removed the coral, getting stung all over my hands, but managed to get him out.

In his defence, It is pretty.

Beverly
05-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Glad you like it, Tony. Good to meet aother fellow reefkeeper :smile: