PDA

View Full Version : Reef Angel controlleur first impression

daniella3d
12-03-2012, 11:51 PM
I got my Reef Angel this week and set it up in a test system to test it.

I thought it was really easy to set up, as opposed to what I had read about programming etc...none was necessary. Even the wifi was easy to setup with the provided utility.

Now I can watch my tank parameters over the net anywhere I go. I can shut down my MH light if the temperature gets too hot. I even receive email alerts when the temperature goes too high or too low.

I know you will tell me that many controllers can do this, but wait a minute...for 300$, what controller could give me wifi net access and control, 8 outlets, ph probe, ATO and temperature probe? That's a lot for that amount of money.

The only negative is that the cable for the PH probe is like 3' or less, so I ordered the 9$ cable extention for it as well as the extention cable for the temp probe.

For those who are hesitating thinking that it is too complicated to install, it is not so, quite the opposite. I even started to tweak the code to my liking...pretty cool!!! I like the thing a lot!

ashr
12-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks for letting us know! I will have to check this out!

where did you end up buying it from?

daniella3d
12-04-2012, 02:31 AM
I bought it from their web site. Not sure you can buy it from somewhere else. www.reefangel.com (http://www.reefangel.com)

I asked them to use USPS and to put as gift. They did and I did not have any custom or broker fee to pay.

It took about a week and half to receive it. I paid with paypal.

ashr
12-04-2012, 02:42 AM
That's what I was thinking you would have to do.

Which unit package did you end up going with?

FitoPharmer
12-04-2012, 03:15 AM
I had a question about these you could possibly answer. I noticed the probes all plug into what looks like the main unit. I also saw the short cords for the probes, I did not see the extensions. But my question relates to the instructions on where to install the main unit. Though I have seen many aquarium controllers mounted inside a closed stand with a sump in other people build threads, the two previous brands I had purchased both said using it in a high humidity area (like inside a closed stand with a sump) will void the warranty. I was wondering if this controller had the same warning?

nerdz
12-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks for feedback, I was about to order a Digital Aquatics one last week when I stumbled on the ReefAngel... Which made me hold off until I learned more about controllers

Good to here the positive review.

hillegom
12-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Where did u see the extension cable for sale?
I'm researching now to buy next year
Thanks for the review

blacknife
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I have had one on my wishlist for a while but with Christmas coming I am hopefull. How much was the usps shipping? The 45 dollar listed shipping price is a brutal hit on the awesome price.

Coleus
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
the wifi attachment is cool, i wish my apex comes with it.

nerdz
12-04-2012, 05:33 PM
I got my Reef Angel this week and set it up in a test system to test it.

I thought it was really easy to set up, as opposed to what I had read about programming etc...none was necessary. Even the wifi was easy to setup with the provided utility.

Now I can watch my tank parameters over the net anywhere I go. I can shut down my MH light if the temperature gets too hot. I even receive email alerts when the temperature goes too high or too low.

I know you will tell me that many controllers can do this, but wait a minute...for 300$, what controller could give me wifi net access and control, 8 outlets, ph probe, ATO and temperature probe? That's a lot for that amount of money.

The only negative is that the cable for the PH probe is like 3' or less, so I ordered the 9$ cable extention for it as well as the extention cable for the temp probe.

For those who are hesitating thinking that it is too complicated to install, it is not so, quite the opposite. I even started to tweak the code to my liking...pretty cool!!! I like the thing a lot!

Also cool that it controls DIY LED dimming right out of the box.

daniella3d
12-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I see no such warning on the controller. You can download the manual online from the reef angel web site and read it.

Of course any electronic equipement must be kept away from high humidity and water dripping on it. It is common sense and it is valid for any controller. I put my controller inside my aquarium furniture but I have no sump. If I had a sump I would attach the controller outside the furniture where it will be away from water drip.

I watched a video on youtube where the guy installed the reef angel right on the top of his tank...dunno how long that lasted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIQsO_wzHQE

I had a question about these you could possibly answer. I noticed the probes all plug into what looks like the main unit. I also saw the short cords for the probes, I did not see the extensions. But my question relates to the instructions on where to install the main unit. Though I have seen many aquarium controllers mounted inside a closed stand with a sump in other people build threads, the two previous brands I had purchased both said using it in a high humidity area (like inside a closed stand with a sump) will void the warranty. I was wondering if this controller had the same warning?

daniella3d
12-05-2012, 02:35 AM
I got the simple PWM basic unit, plus the wifi module. I should have ordered the extention cables if I knew about it before.

That's what I was thinking you would have to do.

Which unit package did you end up going with?

daniella3d
12-05-2012, 02:39 AM
The extension cables are for sale on their webside order. easy to order:

http://www.reefangel.com/order.aspx

for those who have the Apex or other controller which does not have wifi, it is possible to buy a game adapter and use it to get wifi as long as the controller has net capability. That means if someone has a reef keeper lite, they must buy the net module, then a game adapter. I have not try it with my RKL because I don't have the net adapter for it and it's too expensive anyway (120$ for the net adapter and 50$ for a game adapter).

The wifi module on the Reef Angel is very robust. So far it has not deconnected me that I know of, and it is very responsive.

Where did u see the extension cable for sale?
I'm researching now to buy next year
Thanks for the review

nerdz
01-23-2013, 05:07 AM
kind of an old thread but I was wondering if you had any updates?

so far so good?

Cheers

daniella3d
01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
So far VERY good! I am extremely happy with the controller and the support from the forum.

I had disconnection problem with the wifi but after updating the wifi firmware the problems are gone. The wifi was disconnecting and was not reconnecting on its own, so I had to unplug and replug it to make it resume. With the new firmware it works like a charm. I disconnected my router to test it and after loosing the connection the wifi now reconnect on its own, no need to have intervention with it.

That meens that if I am away on vacations, and the router temporary loose its connection and reconnect, then my wifi module will reconnect as soon as the router is back up. Much more reliable.

I can do anything I want with this controller. I can get alert via email if something is wrong and then act on it. For example, if my temperature is too high, I get an email alert (or I can check my parameters on my iphone as well) and then I can turn off my MH if needed and use only actinic.

It's real peace of mind.

When I want to turn on my feeding mode, I now use my iphone interface, no need to even go in my aquarium cabinet :)

I know nothing about programming and I managed to do everything I needed with a little help from the reef angel forum and Roberto is very helpfull as well.

I strongly recommand this controller, very very happy with it and the price is so right.

One thing I did not know is that each temperature probe is laser marked and the probe number 1 is going to be the one with the lower number I think, so no way to decide which is going to be number 1 or number 2, it will be determined by their laser inscribed number. No big deal but something to take note of if you want to install more than 1 probe.

For example, if you want to buy a 10 feet probe to be your probe number 1, there is no garantee it will be that way if you plug more than one since it is not the order they are plugged that determine the sequence.

I would have prefered that if you plug a probe in port 1 then it would be temp 1, but it does not work that way.

All the rest is wonderfull, and now that the wifi is reconnecting alone, it is a very reliable tool especially if going away on vacations.

kind of an old thread but I was wondering if you had any updates?

so far so good?

Cheers

nerdz
01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks , I really appreciate the feedback.

I ordered pmw led drivers for diy setup and want to use reef angel to control dimming and sunrise/sunset .

Thanks again

Pan
03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Anymore updates on this? I'm looking into one...

Tried Profilux...can't stand it....many issues.

Reefkeeper was okay....

Am looking into an Apex, and this is what i will mostly likely settle on...but I am really interested in the Reef Angel as well....