PDA

View Full Version : Marine fish skeletons

Aysha
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Very cool stuff I love the butterfly fish.
http://selempangan.blogspot.ca/2010/11/colored-fish-skeletons.html

mandyplo
12-04-2012, 03:17 AM
I don't think very many people here will appreciate the idea of "killing" and "selling" fish for show... Its one thing to kill and eat/harvest, but for a mere showcase piece?...

I don't know, not something I can appreciate anyways.

Aysha
12-04-2012, 03:20 AM
I don't know how he got them or how they died.I am guessing natural causes, ask any aquarium store how many fish are lost on a weekly basis.
The fish you can buy in the store were taken from the ocean for only one purpose to live in our fish tanks. Not all of them even make it that far.

mandyplo
12-04-2012, 03:58 AM
True... as soon as I posted my reply I read it over and thought to my self... Err I'm a huge hypocrite - the fish in our tanks are mere showcase pieces as well...

My bad

Palmer
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Honestly without claiming cruelty or any other accusation I would just say it seems a bit weird to me. Kind of like the folks that are into stuffing animals and filling their house with them. I dont know how they got their hands on them but the fascination with corpses I just find a bit weird...:confused:

Now for some reason I do find fossils a bit amazing and they are a few steps removed in the preservation process and it is a natural preservation process. Perhaps I am just a hypocrite....:lol:

mrhasan
12-04-2012, 08:30 PM
He preserves (I am guessing dead) fishes, use chemical dip (not coral RX :mrgreen:) to dissolve all the proteins in the skin to make the specimen transparent and then inject colors. I don't think that's immoral as long as the specimens are dead. Its more like mummies but more colorful and with fishes :D Artists always work with dead species as far as I know since they get creeped by living beings :razz:

YAAAAAAAAY...this one is my 1000th post ^_^

Aysha
12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
I think its interesting because it really shows the animals in a way we would not normally get to see them. Would I want fish bones in my house? no.

Arok3000
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
The colours look a little bizarre, but I guess that is part of the intent. It gives it a bit of a surreal look.

And hey, at least it's not a copter cat, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTVOK2yvbBM