PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate mixed reef setup

fireguy98
12-03-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading my set up. Currently running a rsm 250 happy with it
But I want to go bigger thinking 125 gallon. I'm currious what you fine folks would build if you had a budget of around $3500.
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Nano
12-03-2012, 05:13 AM
That's a bit less then my budget for my 120 I'm building, but some things in the works for my tank are
2 radions
Skimz sk181 skimmer
Custom sump
profilux 2
Ai sol refugium/frag light
2. Tunze 6105s

Right now my budget is $3800 and I'm about $300 over once you factor in salt, chems, and odds and ends.
Just to name a few. Most of the stuff ie. Tank, skimmer profilux is used, but in good shape. Keep your eyes peeled around the buy and sell ads. And if your interested in LEDs they are quite cheap right now compared to this time last year..

kien
12-03-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading my set up. Currently running a rsm 250 happy with it
But I want to go bigger thinking 125 gallon. I'm currious what you fine folks would build if you had a budget of around $3500.

What are things that you would like to correct, or just do better in your next setup? :-)

Aquattro
12-03-2012, 05:21 AM
For that kind of money, you can find lots of great full setups where somebody is shutting down. You could even buy a setup and go to Mexico for a week :)

2000 seems to be a common price for 180 setups with various amounts of gear. Use the rest to tweak in some of the gear you want that didn't come with the setup.

fireguy98
12-03-2012, 05:41 AM
The all in one setup is great to learn on but I'm at the stage that I want to be able to tweek things. Such as adding a sump reactors led lighting better skimmer ect.

kien
12-03-2012, 05:48 AM
The all in one setup is great to learn on but I'm at the stage that I want to be able to tweek things. Such as adding a sump reactors led lighting better skimmer ect.

Sounds like it's time for a new tank :-) If you are patient, you can do as Aquattro suggested and poke around in the buy/sell forum and wait for deals to show up. There are people wanting to sell their entire setups all the time for various reasons. Sometimes people are like you and want to upgrade their 120 setup to something bigger and better :-)

If you're not into buying used, then I would start with calling around and seeing what the price of a 120g would be (based on your specs). Actually, you should maybe start figuring out what you want your 120g tank to look like first. Do you want starfire? Only partial starfire? Internal overflow box, external? Do you want a euro brace? One piece euro-brace? Trimless? All of these things will affect the price of your tank.

It all starts with the tank. Therefore, depending on how much of a hit your budget will take with the tank will determine how much is left for the rest of the stuff.

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-03-2012, 05:55 AM
witch ever way you decide I always loved the in-wall setup as you could have lots of room for tweaking and upgrading without the hassle of running into lack of space.

That said I could offer advice comparing my system to others I have seen.
things I like having
spacious aquarium back room
Big skimmer:biggrin:(no preference as I have a DIY skimmer with bubble blaster 10000)
biggest sump I could fit in the space planned
I like the DIY even though sometimes its cheaper to get pre finished product
LED all the way (lots to chose from DIYs and I like radions,kessil and few out there)out of all I love my DIYs as I could tweak them as needed
outside over flow coast to coast box with double herbie.(for later modifications if needed)
water circulation I beleive the more the marrier:biggrin: and like the hidden power heads or a couple larger water pumps into the sump(again for later modifications)
If going the route of LPS and SPS I will go with a at least triple doser.

fireguy98
12-03-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm defiantly going new. Thinking 3 side starfire inthe range of 120-150 gallons. What are your thoughts on overflows.

kien
12-03-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm defiantly going new. Thinking 3 side starfire inthe range of 120-150 gallons. What are your thoughts on overflows.

The overflow is kinda a personal choice partially dictated by the space that the tank will occupy. Some people like internal some like external. The two most popular drain styles these days seems to be Herbie and Bean Animal (I still have no clue why it's called that..). Anyway, you can't go wrong with either. They both work great.

I myself have had tanks with both internal and external overflows and I prefer external. I'm also a big fan of Herbie drain styles. Quiet and works great.

fireguy98
12-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Cool. Any recommendations for a tank builder. I'm in port moody bc.

eli@fijireefrock.com
12-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Cool. Any recommendations for a tank builder. I'm in port moody bc.

Check with Dave and Denny at concept aquatics here in Calgary they do excellent job and deal with delivery I am sure they will give you a good quote.
Only from experience dealing with Dave.

fireguy98
12-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Cool. I was just at j and l today and some lucky guy was picking up a new custom tank. Damn you expensive but fun hobby!

ScubaSteve
12-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I'll second Concept Aquatics for building a tank. Those dudes do some wicked stuff!

SoloSK71
12-05-2012, 12:11 AM
No aquarium lighting option is "cheap"

Charles

fireguy98
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Don't think anyone said anything about lighting being cheap. Next tank will be full led.

SoloSK71
12-05-2012, 12:17 AM
And if your interested in LEDs they are quite cheap right now compared to this time last year..

^^^

Charles