PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question.

tim the toolman
12-03-2012, 02:41 AM
I am currently running a 14 bulb 6' T5 system which runs 8 daylight bulbs 4 actinics and 2 Fiji purple. In the past when I do a bulb change I would swap out all 14 bulbs. Now my question is, do I have to change the blues and purples or does changing the whites only do the trick. I always assumed that the other colors were just to accent the coloration of the tank life.
Also I am open to suggestions regarding the mixture of bulb colors I am using. I run 4 10000K and 4 14000 K bulbs. Trying to grow out sps and other various corals. Thanks to any and all input.

kien
12-03-2012, 02:48 AM
I have a halide/T5 combo fixture where my T5s are strictly 22K/actinic accent lights. What I have noticed is that even the accent lights lose their colour after a while. My 22Ks are a lot less 22K and more like 15 or 18K. My actinics are dull and just don't accent coral colours as well as when they are brand new. As a result I like to swap them out at least once a year. Once I put in the new accent lights I can immediately tell the difference in brightness and intensity. So ya, I think all bulbs just get old and worn down after time. Some faster and more noticeable than others.

tim the toolman
12-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Do you think the purples are necessary or would I be better adding a couple more 22k type bulbs and leaving it with 4 actinics and the rst white light

kien
12-03-2012, 03:03 AM
I tried the Fiji purple once and I personally didn't like it. It lasted only a couple of weeks over my tank before I ditched it and I've never used it since. Is it necessary? I don't think so. It is a personal choice tho. I know lots of people who love the Fiji purple and would never give it up :-)

On my two previous tanks that were strictly T5s my favourite colour combo for growth and viewing was 2x22K KZ bulbs and all the rest 14/15K bulbs. Most of the growth come from the 14/15K bulbs that are on during the day cycle while the 22K bulbs were strictly for extended viewing (dusk/dawn) and for colour accent. I've kinda moved away from strict actinics now also because I like the colour of the 22K bulbs more.

Oh.. And my T5 fixture was a 48" 6 bulb and a 60" 6 bulb.