PDA

View Full Version : Please Please Please Delete Posts that are sold!

hydrofire
12-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Can people delete their posts after they have been sold, or is this something that the admins have to do? Its such a pain looking for stuff and its sold! Thanks!!

Nano
12-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Nope. Can't edit posts after 15 minutes

The Grizz
12-03-2012, 12:47 AM
The mods prefer to leave the threads in tack so people can reference what items sold for if they are wanting to sell something similar. Threads should be lock by mods once item has been sold though in my opinion but that's up to the OP to ask and make sure they have finished the sale thread with an " all sold " post.

Marlin65
12-03-2012, 01:51 AM
You can just change you're heading after you have sold your item and add sold that would be best. :wink:

The Grizz
12-03-2012, 02:08 AM
You can just change you're heading after you have sold your item and add sold that would be best. :wink:

You actually can not change the heading of your first post as that would be editing. What OP should be doing is ask one of the mods to please add " SOLD" to there thread title once sold.

One thing I personally would like to see become a mandatory aspect of the for sale thread title is the sellers location. If its not there it should be deleted until OP gets it right. That would make browsing the sale threads much easier.

Just my opinion though as a "special" member :lol:

dreef
12-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Yes your a "special" one Greg :) jk

kien
12-03-2012, 02:25 AM
At a minimum the seller should indicate in the thread that the items have been.

sold

This way if a mod sees it they can be proactive and add the SOLD label to the title.

The Grizz
12-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Yes your a "special" one Greg :) jk

Special as in one of a kind AWESOME person in general :biggrin:

sold

This way if a mod sees it they can be proactive and add the SOLD label to the title.

Ya exactly what this guy said ^^ :twised:

sphelps
12-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Come on guys, really? You're telling me that PMing someone asking if the item is still available is that inconvenient? Is your time that valuable or is the hope that crushes you into tears when you discover the item is sold?

Asking MODs to do anything relating to this is just dumb. Yes posting SOLD is considerate and for the most part it is done but for the odd case... who cares. Also check the date FFS, I still get messages regarding items I posted FS years ago.

kien
12-03-2012, 03:12 AM
..or is the hope that crushes you into tears when you discover the item is sold

^^ this.. :cry: <-- cry babie.

reefwars
12-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Come on guys, really? You're telling me that PMing someone asking if the item is still available is that inconvenient? Is your time that valuable or is the hope that crushes you into tears when you discover the item is sold?

Asking MODs to do anything relating to this is just dumb. Yes posting SOLD is considerate and for the most part it is done but for the odd case... who cares. Also check the date FFS, I still get messages regarding items I posted FS years ago.

lol this is gonna be one of those nights isnt it :pop2:

The Grizz
12-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Not everyone has the respect to reply to PM's like most of us do Steve & that really gets the fur ruffled on this old bear especially when they are the ones to start the conversations :twised:

2 posts directly from one mod that I like to poke fun at once in a while but do think he is also cool to deal with.

This is mostly why it was removed. People were deleting things once sold, or completed emptying the post. We asked a billion times for this not to happen, temporarily removed editing, and as soon as we restored it, posts got removed again. So no poll, there's just no editing here beyond the initial 15 minutes.
It's easy enough to post a follow up post with items that are sold, or price renewals. If someone doesn't have the time to read all 7 posts in an ad, they probably don't have time to drive to your house to buy it. It's not that tough..

Exactly. And when people delete all the contents, or edit price to Sold, that historic benefit is gone.
The people that want the editing back in the buy/sell forums are typically the ones we're specifically targeting to NOT edit :)
There is no real NEED for editing, other than perhaps tank journals, which I've always tweaked for people as needed.

Aquattro
12-03-2012, 04:27 AM

sold

thinking "Sold" pretty much covers it. :)

hydrofire
12-04-2012, 06:04 AM
What did I start lol. Seems easier just to delete, instead of browsing through a bunch of useless posts that don't exist anymore. Seems simple but that's how its set up then it's all good.

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Several issues with deleting. If we let you delete, then the thread is gone on a whim. If there is a complaint by buyer or seller, I have no reference to go back to.
It's also good to know market value of items. Most things for sale have been sold before, so it's nice to see what people were asking or paying for things. Saves you under pricing your item, or over pricing and getting flamed for it. It's also nice to see how often things come up. Corals for sale often have pics, you can compare something for sale today against something last year to see if it's the same, or priced properly, etc.
Lots of reasons to keep, and it's simple enough to mark sold. or search with dates, most things are sold fairly quickly, although I sold an item that I had listed 7 months earlier. I've bought things that were posted 9 months earlier and the seller had given up bumping. If they had just deleted it, he wouldn't have sold it, and I wouldn't have got the deal.

reefwars
12-04-2012, 06:34 AM
how about a check system of sorts , lets say joe in denver places a for sale ad , the item sells but he doesnt update it , if a user ( maybe one it bothers badly) visits the for sale thread in hopes of buying finds out its been sold s/he can click a sold option that would be displayed next to the threads title on the buy and sell page.

maybe at the bottom where it says reply there could also be an option for "report as sold"

i bet lots of people pm sellers to find out something is sold but dont bother posting about it , and lets say big deal someone pushes it to be an ass while its not sold the orgional op can just undue sold.

something to start the idea ball is all lol

ps.....i actually find the way it is now just fine , i mean if i pm someone for something and its sold.....it took maybe 30 seconds , i can live with that i wont let it ruin my day :)

lastlight
12-04-2012, 07:06 AM
why can't we award the ability to edit to ppl with a solid reputation? abuse the privilege and it's gone for good? That way you can penalize the people who you don't want using it and not make life difficult to everyone else?

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
why can't we award the ability to edit to ppl with a solid reputation? abuse the privilege and it's gone for good? That way you can penalize the people who you don't want using it and not make life difficult to everyone else?

It's not an option in the SW. Either on or off. From a management perspective, it's easier for us in the "off" position. Seriously, there is no need for editing. Made a typo? You've got 15 minutes to fix. Need a major item changed, staff can update for you. For the rare real inconvenience that upsets your life for 10 seconds, suck it up :) I mean come on, you PM someone that posted a pump in 2006 and they don't get back to you, move on. if you need a pump in the next 10 seconds, order one new. This is a hobby that requires patience, so if reading through a whole thread for 12 seconds to find out something has been sold kills you, maybe this isn't the hobby for you. Or try kijjiji, usedyourcity.com, buy&sell. Oh, but same issue there. So I don't know what else to say, this is just the way it is here.

Arok3000
12-04-2012, 02:33 PM
I think the inability to edit threads here is just fine.
As said, if everyone went back into their own thread and put SOLD at the end of it, there wouldn't be an issue, both from the prospective buyer and from the occasional snarky poster who didn't put sold and reams someone out for asking if an item posted months ago is still for sale. It's a fairly simple concept really.

Now, if we could just get people to list FS, FT, WTB, LF, and a location in their topic, now THAT would be a great improvement. I don't know how many times I've clicked on a thread that says "Acro frags" and then the content includes somebody looking for frags on the opposite end of the country...

sphelps
12-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't know how many times I've clicked on a thread that says[SIZE=2] "Acro frags" and then the content includes somebody looking for frags on the opposite end of the country..

:cry:

Arok3000
12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
:cry:

I know right.
I spend most of my alone time crying about missed coral opportunities.

But I guess ultimately it fits into the same 15 second category as clicking on a thread to find the item has been sold. Just my personal peeve.

lastlight
12-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I mean come on, you PM someone that posted a pump in 2006 and they don't get back to you, move on. if you need a pump in the next 10 seconds, order one new.

Yeah I don't care much about the sale threads I just saw another opportunity to bitch about the edit feature and jumped on it =)

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah I don't care much about the sale threads I just saw another opportunity to bitch about the edit feature and jumped on it =)

I know. I expect that from you. It shows you still care :razz:

Seriak
12-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I know. I expect that from you. It shows you still care :razz:

Well then. I care too!

kien
12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
okay everyone, all together now..

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhwqt3yO7l1qc8ygfo1_400.jpg

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 04:25 PM

:popcorn:

Leah
12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Strange...I can still edit.

lastlight
12-04-2012, 04:30 PM

poor bear looks a bit backed up :biggrin:

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Not after 15 min!

Skimmerking
12-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Brad what about having the ability to edit the post like we do that is good. Or may be have it that it wont post until it gives you a second option to read for mistakes. would that work

second option would be that after posting and its sold you have the ability to only post sold once its sold and then its closed.

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 05:14 PM
What I like to suggest is that a seller is responsible for their own post, and once something is sold, reply with sold. Then anyone reading the page can see "sold" and will know that it's sold. It's easy, it's free and doesn't require any work from anyone other than the guy that just sold something.
I don't have a lot of software options, it on or off. No option to mark something closed after it's got some sort of text entered, it's just a thread. It can't manage itself, and I'm not managing it for the seller. Just mark item sold. Then a buyer can look at the end of the thread, and if it says sold, look at other threads. If it says nothing, and isn't from 2002, send a PM. If the seller replies with sorry, it's sold, it's sold. If they don't reply, it's probably sold or they died.
I don't understand why we keep suggesting ways to make this more difficult than typing four letters. It's so easy, anyone can do it.

sphelps
12-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Sold

Yeap he's right, it is easy

Skimmerking
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
But Brad we love to read your amazing posts and we all just love you so much so love you more then others Like KIEN... just sayin.:mrgreen:

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
But Brad we love to read your amazing posts and we all just love you so much so love you more then others Like KIEN... just sayin.:mrgreen:

Oh Keener loves me, never doubt that!

Leah
12-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Not after 15 min!

No time limit on me.

sphelps
12-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Prove it and edit this post :surprise:

Coasting
12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
If somebody selling something is too forgetful or lazy to post Sold at the end, then what makes you think they will put in the effort to edit their first post to say sold.

kien
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
No time limit on me.

oh man.. how I wish..

..wait, what are we talking about?

Leah
12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
oh man.. how I wish..

..wait, what are we talking about?

LMAO!

Leah
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Prove it and edit this post :surprise:

I would gladly, but it is your post not mine. :biggrin:

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I would gladly, but it is your post not mine. :biggrin:

maybe edit the one where you said you could edit :)

Leah
12-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Opps! Sorry Brad, I totally forgot I was not supposed to tell....

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I still don't see any editing happening :)

Delphinus
12-04-2012, 06:40 PM
IT Band!

Leah
12-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I admit it... I am a bit of a **** disturber. :redface:

reefwars
12-04-2012, 06:54 PM
SOLD

well what do you know it was pretty easy lol

im still not gonna do it on my threads lol :twised:

reefwars
12-04-2012, 06:54 PM
in fact if somethings sold i may now just keep bumping it and not reply to the pms just to mess with people like gregs minds lol

oh this will get fun :)

kien
12-04-2012, 07:07 PM
IT Band!

I would like to sell my IT Band!

Seriak
12-04-2012, 07:09 PM
SLOD!

Well I guess it's not as easy as everyone is saying it is. ;)

Zoaelite
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
SOLLDDDDD.:popcorn:.

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
I would like to sell my IT Band!

Sell it at 5k, not 35k. You'll get more :)

acepumping
12-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Can we just start a seperate topic about complaints lol... killing me tonsee tgis at the top all the time haha

Xadieu
12-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Wow 53 replies in 2 days lol we totally got off topic :)

nanoreefnewbie
12-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Thats what I was thinking...:biggrin:

nanoreefnewbie
12-04-2012, 10:04 PM
in fact if somethings sold i may now just keep bumping it and not reply to the pms just to mess with people like gregs minds lol

BahahahHahah
:biggrin::lol::biggrin::biggrin:

kien
12-04-2012, 10:16 PM
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/thread_derail.jpg

The Grizz
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM

No messing with the BEAR or you might get bit!!!

Aquattro
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM

Love it when a plan comes together...

reefwars
12-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Love it when a plan comes together...

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4758931948046485&pid=1.7&w=118&h=147&c=7&rs=1