PDA

View Full Version : whats the most colourful soft coral or lps

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-30-2004, 06:30 AM
i was looking for a few ideas must be fairly easy to keep,and not super aggresive,no shrooms etc thanks for any ideas . :smile:

Quinn
04-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Ricordea perhaps...

Canadian Man
04-30-2004, 06:49 AM
My plate coral with bright pink tips, Some hammer's and frogspawns are a bright green.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-30-2004, 06:59 AM
hammer's and frogspawns are both corals i was looking at but i was told there sweeper are long and pack quite a sting,same with the plate but i was also told you need MH for them ?and thanks for the posts anymore ideas keep them comeing

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Ricordea is a little out of my price range i cant find any for under $100

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-30-2004, 07:19 AM
plate coral is what i was looking for reg colour,but from what i have read they die after about one year ?

Son Of Skyline
04-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Zoos!

Samw
04-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Bright Yellow Tonga Leather and Orange Sun Coral.

DOO-E
04-30-2004, 01:16 PM
I will be running 4 36 inch 95 watt vho's will this be enough for frogspawns and hammer corals.

JoelF
04-30-2004, 02:42 PM
you can buy single Ricordias at Ocean Aquatics. they are around $30-35.

kuatto
04-30-2004, 02:47 PM
You could get away with pc lighting for hammers and frogspawn.

Canadian Man
04-30-2004, 02:49 PM
plate coral is what i was looking for reg colour,but from what i have read they die after about one year ?

Not true. Well could be true if you neglect it just like any coral :rolleyes:

Chad
04-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Be aware that the sun coral requires regular feedings. It does not depend on light to get its food.

I have one of those brown with olive green sun corals. Its not "bright" but it is still very stunning.

Also, the poylps are generaly only out at night unless you can train them to feed while your lights are on.

Chad
04-30-2004, 03:23 PM
You could get away with pc lighting for hammers and frogspawn.

I have had experience with frogspawn under 110w PC lighting. Grows like crazy, I have about 7 - 8 heads on there now. So I think the frogspawn is a good candidate to get some bright colours in the tank.

AJ_77
04-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Some Trumpet and Candycane corals (LPS) are colourful.
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5741

Zoos have good colour as well, some more than others.
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7967

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-30-2004, 10:51 PM
ive got quite a few zoo's growing already,as for a Yellow Tonga Leather now were talking but has anyone had any luck keeping them,or a frag for sale ?.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
04-30-2004, 11:18 PM
the problem i am haveing is coral placement,my first lr was Kanai ,and most of it ,is large round or flat and takes up alot of room in my 20g,i was considering trying to trade it it for smaller pieces to make some more room but i dont have any problems apart from a small diatom bloom once in a while on the sand ,so playing with the lr might not be such a good idea ,i guess i am just crappy at aquascaping lol

sumpfinfishe
05-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Many types of LPS corals will do great in your tank with only PC lighting!
LPS usually are a medium to lower light loving corals.

I have both green frogspawn, green open brain, red donut, and white hammer in my tank under NO lighting.
All my LPS corals have been fragged many times over the last 6 years, and they all grow extremly well.
If I hadn't of fragged my hammer and frogspawn corals I would say that I would have about 30 branches on each colony by now!

TNTCanada
05-01-2004, 02:38 AM
I have only NO lighting and my Hammer and Frog Spawn do great no problems here.

StirCrazy
05-01-2004, 03:10 AM
I have only NO lighting and my Hammer and Frog Spawn do great no problems here.

define great? is that great for a tank with NO lights or great for a coral in captivity or just great overall? :mrgreen:

Steve

sumpfinfishe
05-01-2004, 03:49 AM
Steve wrotedefine great? is that great for a tank with NO lights or great for a coral in captivity or just great overall?

Well Steve, when I have to frag my frogspawn or hammer once every month or two and both mother conlony's are packed with baby buds sprouting up all over the main branches- I would say this is a good thing in captivity, and better on the environment as I am supplying many local newbies with LPS coral frags :mrgreen:

BCOrchidGuy
05-01-2004, 05:17 AM
For soft corals I think the Carnation corals (Dendronephtytha sp.) are very pretty. You can find them in pinks and some rather bright reds. I'm very pleased with mine.

Doug

EmilyB
05-01-2004, 06:53 AM
For soft corals I think the Carnation corals (Dendronephtytha sp.) are very pretty. You can find them in pinks and some rather bright reds. I'm very pleased with mine.

Doug

Because of their poor survival rate it is not recommended as a beginner coral.

Perhaps you have some tips Doug? How long have you had yours?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-01-2004, 08:12 AM
i think i will go for a green fogspawn for now,i didnt have much luck with a Green Sinularia, it was never fully erect,so i gave it away after a week,i was told it is doing alot better in his tank,that tonga leather sounds good to but were is the best place to put it in the tank .

BCOrchidGuy
05-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Emily I've got one I've had for at least a year and a half and another that I've had about 3 months. I keep them in the darkest area of the tank, I think the problem with them is that algae will grow on them very quickly. I've kept them in caves etc and the only time I've had trouble with them is when the are close to the light.
I don't spot feed, and other than keep them out of the direct light I don't do anything special for them.

Doug